Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a thread First Full length gig on tenor..

although it was a positive experience...one problem reared its ugly head..

Ive got a friend in NYC who is a real funkster....ive always noticed that he hooks his pinky finger around the C key when he's playing,and of course I always figured that to limit your facility

i rarely practice with a strap at home,and im always trying to stay as relaxed as possible when playing... however on the gig ,using a strap...i found myself doing the same thing with my right hand pinky

what's the cure.....does it help to push the horn further forward...or keep the horn closer to the body......or???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
i rarely practice with a strap at home,and im always trying to stay as relaxed as possible when playing... however on the gig ,using a strap...i found myself doing the same thing with my right hand pinky
You're practicing tenor without a strap? How does that work exactly?

I always try to practice in the same fashion as I gig: for me, that means standing, and with a strap, As God Ordained. If you practice without a strap, gig without a strap, but: how does that work, exactly?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes...you are 100% correct... i need to start paracticing with a strap....
i generally practice with my horn resting on something,or in the stand(with the stand on a case elevating it slightly)

i had issues with sax,coming from trombone and trumpet...so i tried to stay as relaxed as possible while developing my sax chops.....
the key for me to perform well is to stay in my element,focused controlled and not getting overexcited(then i overblow,or get tense and everything is out the window)
some people ONLY perform well with hyper energy...but that seems to help retain some bad habits..in my opinion

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You should start to play with a strap. Get a comfortable one and make sure the strap supports the weight, not your thumb.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Yeah, I don't think there's any big secret here. Start using a neck strap. Exactly what Kelly said, you practice the way you perform. I practice improv and classical solo repertoire standing. I practice ensemble literature sitting. I can't imagine a performance situation with the sax propped up on something so why practice that way? It's not realistic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
what's the cure.....does it help to push the horn further forward...or keep the horn closer to the body......or???
The first step is awareness.

You'll need to develop a personal relationship with the horn - why treat it as anything other than a sax?

Possible adjustments include rotation of the mouthpiece on the cork, rotation of the neck in the socket, and neck strap length. I prefer to dial in the horn position just as I adjust my large bore bullseye pistol position - natural. I let the horn come to me rather than me accomodating the horn. That lets me play for hours in a relaxed - not forced - posture.

G'luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
You may not need the neckstrap indefinitely even if you do practice with it. Years ago I had bad right thumb problems that prevented me from holding a clarinet without inflammation and pain. I went to an OT and got hand exercises that helped, and I used a neckstrap on clarinet for about six months. After that I didn't have the problem anymore.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Make one of these out of sugru, no more pain :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Punter that looks cool...it looks like youve completely done away with the original hook...am I right??
Yeppers... best thing I ever did. Esecially for those of us with big hands.No more pain, made one for soprano too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts