Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riffault “Ideal" bari mouthpiece info needed

I bought a used Ideal bari mouthpiece more than 25 years ago, and have used it (along with other mpcs I have) all this time - without having a clue who/what/where Ideal was. So, I looked it up and found that - according to some sources - it was made by Riffault. It has to be at least 35+ years old, an ugly, virtual doorstop in shape, but it plays balls off of some Selmer C*'s and Vandorens and Meyers that I've sat beside in rehearsals and concerts.

But I know absolutely nothing about it, except that it's stamped Ideal - Paris, France (complete with oval). I'm aware that some companies (usually American) were stamping everything "Paris France" at some point in the past, but it is a heavy, dense, hard rubber piece that has stood the test of time. I use the biggest Rovner lig on it, with Hemke 2 1/2 reeds.

Does anyone in the Forum have any idea about "Ideal"?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Re: Riffault “Ideal" bari mouthpiece info needed

I happen to be auditioning a couple of Ideal tenor mouthpieces as of this moment. My friend JB4sax got a fair amount of them from a closing music store named Ideal. He told mr that they were made by Riffault several years ago. The mouthpieces on my bench are really made and faced, unfortunately they only measured out at .65. I couldn't play it very well with the reeds I have here but it may be a great piece to have opened up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts

I bought a used Ideal bari mouthpiece more than 25 years ago, and have used it (along with other mpcs I have) all this time - without having a clue who/what/where Ideal was. So, I looked it up and found that - according to some sources - it was made by Riffault. It has to be at least 35+ years old, an ugly, virtual doorstop in shape, but it plays balls off of some Selmer C*'s and Vandorens and Meyers that I've sat beside in rehearsals and concerts.

But I know absolutely nothing about it, except that it's stamped Ideal - Paris, France (complete with oval). I'm aware that some companies (usually American) were stamping everything "Paris France" at some point in the past, but it is a heavy, dense, hard rubber piece that has stood the test of time. I use the biggest Rovner lig on it, with Hemke 2 1/2 reeds.

Does anyone in the Forum have any idea about "Ideal"?
Is it marked R? (R3, R4 or R5) Then it is a Riffault. They are very big, and the perfect blank to make the best Bass saxophone mouthpiece you can get.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts

I spoke a few times with the son of the gentleman who ran the Ideal business. Based on that I can tell you that the mouthpiece is from the early 1960's. He told me that he remembered that when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show his father made an immediate decision to phase out woodwinds and deal in electric guitars etc. so the mouthpiece would have been no later than around 1964.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts

Is it marked R? (R3, R4 or R5) Then it is a Riffault. They are very big, and the perfect blank to make the best Bass saxophone mouthpiece you can get.
I have had a couple of these they tend to come with many old baritones also stamped with SML stamp.

They are indeed riffault made. I have used one for a while when playing my first ever baritone which showed some intonation peculiarities being a very old Conn Wonder Improved stencil keyed to Eb.

Back then, Grumps offered his valuable expert opinion that my playing would have been benefited by adopting a large pickle barrel mouthpiece and it did, in as much it could be done by someone who wasn’t a baritone player (and still isn’t).

Later on a few more came across my way and one in particular seemed to be even larger than the other ones. I sold it to someone who initially thought it might be a Bass (I thought that too) but then told me it was a baritone which COULD be turned into a bass mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I bought a pair of NOS blanks about 15 years ago. Very nice rubber, essentially no baffle. I had one opened up and double-chambered by Eric G. for my Martin bari. Worked pretty well but hard to get much volume out of it. Maybe with a harder reed. I think he opened it up to maybe .105.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts