Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....And I'll be damned if that's not Brecker playing. Heard it on the radio today. Most '80s sax solos on pop recordings sound terrible. This... does not. (Tenor starts playing at about 2:51.)

Sorry about the advertisement at the front, and there's good-old-fashioned '80s-style suggested sexuality, so you might not want to play this at work. Other than that, enjoy.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Sax solo aside, Cameo used to be a respectable funk band but this is complete trash. I find it really sad. :(

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
for those of us international members that this video wont open for ,due to inter. copyright restrictions... please provide the name of the song

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Literally a ' cameo ' appearance for Brecker . Cheese is good , I like it - as for those hot pants - aren't they Garys?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
I did a funk/ electronica gig with a dude in Dallas who claimed to be a member of Cameo about a year ago. I am still waiting to get paid! Couldn't find the guy anywhere...just gave up after a while.

It was a fun gig though. Black on black suits with white wigs and face paint. Me and a bass player (also stiffed, as I have played with him a lot) were the only live musicians on stage along with the guy singing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Thanks for this. Great pop tenor solo by a jazz icon who was also incredibly versatile.

Also from the 80's, I like Brecker's solo on this piece of fluff from Spyro Gyra starting at 3:15:

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I listened to the solo with a clear mind, and it sure does sound like Brecker. A bit dumbed down and more economical, but the tell-tale signs seem to be there in the phrasing and articulation. It was interesting to hear him in this context, and playing in a more stripped down R & B style then one associates with Brecker.

·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glenn: Thank you! I love Bob Berg. Something about the core in his sound is gut-wrenching, in the good way. Is that bass player Marcus Miller?
Zorrosg: I wouldn't say it's dumbed-down, but definitely economical, and super funky. His time and ideas are stupid-good.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Glenn: Thank you! I love Bob Berg. Something about the core in his sound is gut-wrenching, in the good way. Is that bass player Marcus Miller?
Don't know who the bass player is. That record only had four cuts, I think. Bob Berg blows on a couple of cuts, and on another tune there's a flugel solo by...really wait for it...Tom Harrell! Worth searching out just for the "Holy Cow!" factor. I believe it may be available in the blogoshpere.

·
1,210 Posts
Jesus F. Christ, I cannot open it here. But the description reminds me of a crazy 7/8 tenor solo by Brecker on a Zappa tune...unfortunately it's not on the tube anymore...fiery stuff.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yesss! Thanks for the link.
This one is a classic, with solo's from Tom Harrel as well. I play the whole record every now & then....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts