Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always watch Tom's youtube videos. and his new one "how to assemble a clarinet he said that he was using his proto tyoe wood clarinet that will be coming out soon.

Has anyone else seen this. I wonder what it will be like. I have 2 of his horns and really like them.

Bobby

Bobby M. McClellan
Flowood, MS

·
Registered
469 Posts
While I agree his clarinets are great, I think it is kind of ironic that he is making a "pro model wood clarinet." I won't go as far to say that he bashes wood, but he definitely doesn't promote it. Quotes from his grenadilla myth article:

What I have found to be consistently true is when a well-made hard rubber clarinet is compared to a Grenadilla wood clarinet sharing the same acoustical design, the hard rubber turns out to be the unequivocal better in every respect: tone, tuning, response, sweeter high tones, stability and consistency in manufacture.

Here's a good one:
Because I have grown so used to the dependable response and sweet tone of hard rubber, whenever I test Grenadilla clarinets they sound harsh to me and feel, by comparison, uneven in resistance, bright in the high register, reticent in response and more unstable.
It is a plain fact for those who honestly inquire: a well-made, acoustically well-designed and finished hard rubber clarinet is, quality for quality, a peerless instrument, providing the player with a fully satisfying, effortless artistic experience, second to none.
As far as I'm concerned, the future is now.
His website also says his Low C Bass is going to increase in price after this month.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Tom is a master at designing clarinets, and at selling his products. I have his pro clarinet and really like it. But I've seen other posters refuse to consider it because it is not wood. Maybe he feels that he must offer wood to expand the market for his products, whether or not it is an improvement. It can be easier to cater to prejudice than to fight it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maybe he feels that he must offer wood to expand the market for his products, whether or not it is an improvement.
That's a good point. I never thought of it like that. I don't mean to bash Tom in anyway, there's no question about his clarinets. I just didn't think he would want a wood clarinet in his collection.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then again it may not come to light either. I purchased the BBb contra proto type, and he has not brought the production model to market yet. I agree that he probablem has to offer the wood to expand his market.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Then again it may not come to light either. I purchased the BBb contra proto type, and he has not brought the production model to market yet. I agree that he probablem has to offer the wood to expand his market.
Do you have any recordings/pictures of his Contra? I never got to see the preview on his site.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not have any recordings of it, I can get some pictures for you. I will email Tom and see if he will put the old video he had of it out on youtube. The profile pic that I use is me playing the BBb

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope to get over Tom's way sometime soon to have him give the contra a once over. I will probably try out his low C bass then. I really like the 2 horns I have from him. They have alot of thought but into them.

The Contra is a 5 piece which make transport much easier. You do have to be careful though since there are 3 "bridge" keys at the middle joint. Tuning is a breeze. Tom sent it with a "Precision" contra mouthpiece and I am using legree reeds on it. It was not intended to be a primary instrument but it has become my primary horn with the Community Band that I play in. I get complements from people on the horn regularly. The Conductor says that it really adds to the section. When I played at the SCB Convention in Plano last year I sat beside a Leblanc straight contra and they were identical in layout the major difference is the Leblanc is a plastic one piece body and the Ridenour is a 2 piece rubber body.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just pulled the following from Tom's site:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LYRIQUE GRENADILLA CLARINET MODEL
We are also delighted to announce the availability of a new Ridenour Lyrique Grenadilla wood clarinet.
The clarinet will be ready for clients by the last week in June. It will be designated Lyrique model G-1.
We always to try give clarinetist what they say they want and need, so after so many requests over the years we are very excited about being able to offer this terrific clarinet to those who prefer Grenadilla clarinets.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He has a Youtube up debuting the G1 wood clarinet now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
I know a fair number of players trying to SELL their Ridenour clarinets, but nobody looking to buy one. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Funny, I don't think people looking to buy a Lyrique would go post a wanted ad. They'd probably buy new from the man himself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmm. Given what I saw from a physical sample of the Lyrique, I felt that you ultimately are paying for having a Chinese made CSO tuned by Ridenour. The two samples that I've tried were delightful to play (and miles ahead of the 'half-done' Chinese horns that are plentiful at Musikmesse), and Ridenour did his magic as advertised.

The costs of $1900 for a G-1 makes for a "not sure if want" in my opinion. You can get very decent horn for that price (such as the Cadenza, Hanson T5), nevermind second-hand offerings ( properly overhauled older top of the line horn). I am not suggesting that Ridenour's contractor (Chinese firm? Amati?) cannot make quality products at all, but rather pointing out the obvious competition here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts