Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around the forums and noticed members stating they have these and other comments showing a dislike.

I was wondering who has tried these mouth pieces and how do they compare to what else you use or have tried?

I was in a pinch to change out a clarinet MPC that was a #2 P.O.S. and a bland sounding Selmer D on soprano.

I picked up a B3 for soprano and noticed a HUGE improvement over the selmer.
The soprano went from a dark, unexciting tone to a bright, overtone rich, more sax like sound. I was very surprised.

I picked up a B5 for clarinet and the tone improved drastically as well as the dynamic range.
I also got an A5 for the clarinet for my daughter.

At the price, I'm thinking of trying a C5 or C7 on my Alto to get a brighter buzzier sound than the Meyer 6M I currently use delivers.

I use a Berg on my tenor but it's a bit punchy for concert band so I am considering maybe an A5-7 or B5-7 depending on how they sound.

There was a time (back in my David Sanborn wannabe days) that I had a Dukoff D8 and loved the sound of it.
I just don't have >$100 to spend on a MPC (let alone 2 or 3 of them) and I have had good results with the Graftonites so far.

I haven't tested these on Alto or Tenor yet.
Opinions would be appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The Rico Royal Graftonites are very good mouthpieces. The only reason I can see that folks don't like them is because they are very "middle of the road" sound wise. They're very good but not great or "special". But sometimes "very good" is far good enough. Especially when you need a good cheap piece. And the Rico Metalites I've tried have been a lot like the Dukoffs.

·
Banned
280 Posts
I had an A7 tenor Graftonite for a couple of years. It wasn't my main mpc, but it was fun to play: very responsive, thanks to a good facing, and had a unique quality to the tone (not sure how to describe it).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
I really like the graftonites on bari sax. The high rollover baffle provides enough focus and edge without sounding like the buzzy metalite.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I play a C5 Graftonite on my Buescher TT tenor and my horn came alive. Been using it for the last 6 months. I play in a Blues band and needed the projection to cut thru the guitars and keybd without loosing the tone I wanted. There's very little resistance and I have great control of the of my tone. I use a Fibrecel medsoft reed. I also use a B5 graftonite and Fibrecel medsoft on my alto (Jupiter 767). The other MPC's I use are Brilhart Tonalin, Ottolink Tone Edge, Ottolink STM, and Hite Premier.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
LBA, what intonation problems did you have? Was the sax made by Yanagisawa (forgive my ignorance.)

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
MM said:
LBA, what intonation problems did you have? Was the sax made by Yanagisawa (forgive my ignorance.)
Nope. He mentioned that it was a Beaugnier made Vito.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts