Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spotted a remainder of the old stock reeds at our local shop of these reeds I indicated in the title: soprano Rico Royal 3.5 (around 2005 crop).
They've got a dozen of NOS boxes still unopened and in stock. By the way, not many here around play soprano, so no wonder they are not sold.

I haven't played my soprano much either so I have no preferences in reeds/mouthpieces. I've got a couple of MPs though:
- Yamaha Custom 3CM (hard rubber one, 1.2 mm tip according to some unverified specs source)
- Otto Link Tone Edge 5* (.055" tip), modern Babbitt production

How do you think RR 3.5 would match up with one of the pieces above and what do you generally think of the RR for soprano?
I've seen quite a few of favourable reviews of Rico Jazz Selects for soprano but not Rico Royals.

·
Registered
517 Posts
RR 3 were my sweet reeds years ago. There would always be some variety of strength in a box, however the sweet ones were nice and sweet. 3.5 will have good tone after the break in period. If the price is right it's worth a try. Rico Royals were not the best reeds but some were nice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts