Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
Yes. I got some at the NASA region 4 conference earlier this year. (Rico did a presentation.) They are very good reeds, and run a bit hard (slightly harder than blue box vandorens). Several of the sax professors there were quite impressed. I'd have to say it's more of a classical reed, as the sound is not especially flexible (or maybe I need to go down 1/2 strength).

The difference in the quality of cane is very apparent, both from other Ricos and other brands. The smaller fibers from the cane they select give the reed vamp a much smoother feel.

This is a very good move for Rico. Now that they are readily available. I may give them a more serious try.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
They don't make tenor Rico Reserve reeds. But HERE is the question, did Dr. Tim McCallister in fact have some say in the processing and manufacturing of these reeds? If so, to WHAT extent did he have say...If he had some real input into the production and creation of these, I'd say buy them...buy them...buy them. I've never met ANYONE more critical, exacting and knowledgable about reeds...I've seen and played a "McCallister" perfected vandoren reed and it's AMAZING...I don't know how he does it but I know it's awesome reed work...

Anyone out here in cyber world who studies with Tim...get the low-down and let us know!!

Cheers!

Nitro

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
You recall 33% correctly. McCallister, Diastema Quartet and Phillip Geiss are the supposed "contributors" to the creation of these reeds according to Rico's PR statement.

My question is: to what EXTENT did these guys really contribute...was it a 15 minute teleconference or did they actually spend a period of time playing, fixing, discussing and moving toward a goal...

They seem really promising...I'm excited about them...I love Rico products...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts