Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting a tenor overhauled it's demanding a slightly harder reed. I've been playing Rico 2 1/2 on a Guardala King Curtis (.116) but now they are terribly soft - must have been some bad leaks that I just didn't pay any attention to. Anyway I had stopped using Rico select Jazz 3 Soft, unfiled, some time ago but I had a couple left over, and they actually were about right. I also had some Rico Reserve 2 1/2 and 2. I tried the 2 1/2 first, and they were way too stuffy. However, the 2 is very good and I'm taking some of them to the gig Saturday night. I also found a couple more boxes of them (pre-D'Addario) at Weiner Music in case anybody is using these. Another reed I can now use again is D'Addario 'Royal', 2 1/2. I had also stopped using these for the same reason, now they're back in the ball park.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, the reed that worked last night was a Rico Reserve 2.0. You should read up on them as the premise is interesting, as to what kind of cane is used and the reasons for the design. Whatever, this is a strong, loud reed that runs 1/2 grade hard and they last all night. If you play in rock, blues, R&B and/or are in a horn section, you should probably try them. Oddly, they are designed to be 'legit' reeds more so than 'jazz' but I don't care about that - they blow and that's all I need to know.
Again on the strength comparison, if you play a RSJ 3 Soft for example, you probably would want to buy the Reserve #2.0. These reeds do have the French file cut. Overall, I think they're the best reeds to come along in quite awhile.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a pack of Rico Reserve (pre-D'Addario) here for Bari. I like their sound (dark core, balanced overtones). The ones I've got here are unfiled though. For me they definitely outperform the vandoren blue box reeds and even have a good chance of relieving the Alexander NY reeds which I've been playing for the past few months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts