Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring up an older thread but I couldn:t find any info on the strength of these new RICO RESERVE reeds...Is a blue box 3 the same as a Rico reserve 3?

even the rico website doesnt have the comparison chart for these...
but Philippe Geiss sounds AMAZING on these reeds!
As for rico...Ive changed to rico on all horns EXCEPT legit alto but these reeds will push me over the edge!

VIVA LA RICO!

Nitro

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on the season and the location--I`ll throw a reed in some regular tap water before a gig bu I`m not big on it...In fact, I rarely do it. That pic was taken right before a gig I did in the dead of winter in Nebraska--It was dry as HELL. Optimal humidiy for reeds is around 70%, the country I`m in now, Japan, is almost ALWAYS at or above 70% so the entire country is one big humidor...:) nice huh? I hate soggy reeds so I play them as dry as I can...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
Rico Reserve 3 is more like a blue box 3.5 to me, but the reed has a different feel, so it's very hard to put into words.

I'd consider going 1/2 strength down from Vandoren, or better yet buy your regular strength and the 1/2 strength lower.

The Ricos are definitely at least as hard.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
impressions?

No new impressions on these? I haven't played them yet but after hearing Geiss play on them and reading the info RICO has about them...sounds like a killer reed for legit-style playing...

I'll stay posted and when I get around to coughing up the dough I'll buy some and then post my impressions...

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Intial impressions of this reed..

I played the 2.5 today on my Vandoren V5 A27 mouthpiece. There are 5 reeds in a box and they are sealed in a plastic container with a humidor-type vitalizer pack. All the reeds look great--They are not green nor are they too brown...the tips were all perfect and the backs were also flat.

The reed plays for me somewhere in between the GCS and the HEMKE...It's got the flexiblity of a Hemke but the darkness of a GCS. It's a nice little reed but I wasn't blown away by it. I think that what makes this reed nice is the vitalizer that comes with it and the packing...All 5 reeds played almost identical and like someone else said on here about the reeds blowing harder than one would expect, I didn't find that to be true...I felt like these 2.5's were legitimate 2.5's. In fact, I think the strengths are close to the Hemke series...maybe a tad harder...

Overall, I think its a nice reed for Rico but its not that different from a GCS for me...All they need to do is put a vitalizer in with the GCS reeds and they will all play much better...Rico is a great reed but I think these reeds are a little hyped-up...

I'll be interested to hear some legit players comments...IF they give them a try...you know playing a Rico for legit is very very uncommon...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
What's a GCS please?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
nitrosax said:
No new impressions on these? I haven't played them yet but after hearing Geiss play on them and reading the info RICO has about them...sounds like a killer reed for legit-style playing...

I'll stay posted and when I get around to coughing up the dough I'll buy some and then post my impressions...
I just tried the Rico Reserve in 3.5 strength on a Brilhart Tonalin 3*. Feels slightly harder than the Jazz Select #4S Unfiled I use. I tried 2 of the five and both played. Great cane. Strength is probably like blue box 3.5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts