Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the Rico reed vitalizer system (essentially a zip lock bag and a humidity pack) for a while now. I use the 73% humidity packs. The instructions indicate that they should generally last a couple of months and that they should get "firm" when they need to be replaced. The last one I replaced never got hard and the current one has not gotten hard either and I have been using it for about a year. Something doesn't seem quite right, but my reeds have generally been OK and haven't warped. It doesn't seem to make sense to replace the pack if it's still working, but I can't imagine after all this time it's functioning optimally.

Has anyone else had any similar or different experiences with these packs?

·
Registered
283 Posts
As long as they get the moisture they'll last a while. Same thing with me. Though one time one did get firm, and I realized it was in the reed case with reeds I hadn't been using... so they will dry up but not with regular use. Also to preserve them, but a couple drops of water on it every time you use it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
same problem here. usually I write the date on the refill pack when I open it and so far it's never hardened before or when the time it's supposed to be replaced.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Nice to know others are experiencing the same thing. I guess there is no need to spend money replacing them more frequently if it's not necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Just to be sure--you are removing the pack from the small clear plastic packaging, correct? The pack itself should be white with colored printing, with no clear plastic outside of it. FWIW, mine usually last for 2-3 months, and work well during that time.

JR

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to be sure--you are removing the pack from the small clear plastic packaging, correct? The pack itself should be white with colored printing, with no clear plastic outside of it. FWIW, mine usually last for 2-3 months, and work well during that time.

JR
LOL. I understand why you are asking, because I am sure there have been more than a few people who didn't realize there was a pack inside the packaging, but yes, I am removing it. Interesting that yours seems to last about the standard time they suggest.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Did you guys know that the packs are not safe to bring on an airplane according to the label on each pack? I must admit, though, I did bring them on airplanes a few times and luckily they haven't exploded. The reeds were useless after the trip, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts