Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I read in several posts in SOTW that old Rico Orange box were better reeds compared to current ones. I was digging into finding very old ones that were advertised as Style-V that I owned a while ago and really liked it, and haven’t had any luck for strength #3 tenor sax reed yet although I found an item that is the old style paler orange box from 2010, still has D’addario name in the back of the box (as opposed to D’addario’s newer box with darker orange and D’addario written underneath Rico in the front). I don’t know when people are referring to old, this pale orange box from 9 years ago is part of those supposedly better quality ones or not. I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I believe the Rico Style V pre-dates the orange box by quite a bit. These came in the much older brown boxes from the 80's or older.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hmmm I've got a couple boxes of those brown box 1980's reeds. Wonder if they will ever become "vintage" enough to be worth money LOL.

arya44, trust me on this, you are better off looking at today's higher quality reeds. With the advent of computerized machinery, reeds today are much more consistent than the old ones. Especially those from Vandoren and D'Addario. The brown box Ricos were good, and most of the players I knew then used them (though quite a few used La Voz and some also used Vandoren), but they were the opposite of consistent. Today's Orange Box reeds are more consistent than the brown box ones (though arguably consistently bad...)

My personal belief is the closest reed to a good brown box reed today is Rigotti Gold (aka "Jazz" cut). A second "close enough for jazz" reed is the D'Addario Select Jazz reeds, filed or unfiled doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe the Rico Style V pre-dates the orange box by quite a bit. These came in the much older brown boxes from the 80's or older.
When the boxes changed from faux wood to orange the reeds were still marked V cut. But shortly thereafter they changed the cut, no longer marked them with the V. The sound changed considerably and I eventually stopped using them. For me Java Green is the closest sounding reed to the old V cut Ricos.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hmmm I've got a couple boxes of those brown box 1980's reeds. Wonder if they will ever become "vintage" enough to be worth money LOL.
Hard to say - prices for them on fleabay and Reverb are all over the place. I'd suspect if you had NIB #3 tenor reeds you could sell them for quite a bit. Mostly what I've seen offered are very soft (#1 or 1 1/2) or very hard (4+).

When the boxes changed from faux wood to orange the reeds were still marked V cut. But shortly thereafter they changed the cut, no longer marked them with the V. The sound changed considerably and I eventually stopped using them. For me Java Green is the closest sounding reed to the old V cut Ricos.
Interesting - I didn't know that. I don't remember ever seeing an orange box marked that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts