Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a look at Kessler's website and it seems Rico is re-introducing the Metalite mouthpiece for alto sax. Rico's website also confirms this as well. I always thought it a little strange they didn't already do this when the Metalites were re-introduced for the other saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I purchased an alto metalite in 1992 (M7) but I measured tip opening and it is 0.095¨ and not 0.088¨as listed in kessler page.
Also, mine has a rough finish not smooth one like this new metalite

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I purchased an alto metalite in 1992 (M7) but I measured tip opening and it is 0.095¨ and not 0.088¨as listed in kessler page.
Also, mine has a rough finish not smooth one like this new metalite
What method did you use to measure? Even Rico says that it should be a .090". I measured 6 and all 6 with my digital gauge (Theo Wanne) came to the same .0875" (rounded to .088). The sheer fact that all 6 I measure were identical is an impressive manufacturing achievement for Rico.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What method did you use to measure? Even Rico says that it should be a .090". I measured 6 and all 6 with my digital gauge (Theo Wanne) came to the same .0875" (rounded to .088). The sheer fact that all 6 I measure were identical is an impressive manufacturing achievement for Rico.
Well maybe your method is more accurate since I used feeler gauges to measure. I place my mpc flat on a glass surface, then I stack the feelers until they fit tight at the tip. I have to mention that I know it is not a conventional method but, I measured about 13 mpcs (different brands) and this is the only one that is far different from manufacturers specifications. For example my Meyer 6M gave me 0.075 (0.076 original); my Jumbo Java gave me 0.086, Lakey 6*3 gave me 0.085, and so on.

·
Registered
454 Posts
To those who have played the Alto Metalite M7, does it play similar to Vandoren Jumbo Java A45?
For me Jumbo Java (A45) responds better in low register than Metalite. I see that Metalite has a wider tip rail and higher baffle, also I feel metalite brighter than Jumbo Java.
I can play more dynamics with Jumbo Java too.
So , for me Jumbo Java is my election between these two mpcs. However, sometimes I use metalite when i dont need to play p or pp. Only for loud gigs and pop music. Jumbo can be used for close mic gigs

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
For me Jumbo Java (A45) responds better in low register than Metalite. I see that Metalite has a wider tip rail and higher baffle, also I feel metalite brighter than Jumbo Java.
I can play more dynamics with Jumbo Java too.
So , for me Jumbo Java is my election between these two mpcs. However, sometimes I use metalite when i dont need to play p or pp. Only for loud gigs and pop music. Jumbo can be used for close mic gigs
Thanks for the comparison. In particular, though, which of the Metalite M7 or the M5 feels more similar to Jumbo Java A45?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. In particular, though, which of the Metalite M7 or the M5 feels more similar to Jumbo Java A45?
I have not played the M5, but I really doubt that any metalite can be compared with Jumbo Java. Perhaps only in the tip opening scenario, but in terms of sound and playability they are different. Maybe M5 is close to A45 when we talk about tip opening

1 - 12 of 12 Posts