Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rico Metalite Mpc, Which one is good for me?

12K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Jazz Is All 
#1 ·
There are a few options for openings. I play a 1958 Martin Indiana tenor, and a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Tenor. Which tip opening would be best for me? I like vandoren Java reeds (2.5 in regular, and 3 in Red file cut).

#2 ·
Really the tip size is more about fitting you. It's not really about fitting the sax.

What mouthpiece are you using now? Where are you in your playing development (school student, college, later starter, professional, years playing, etc.)? What type of music do you play? And what exactly are you going for with this mouthpiece as far as tone and style go?

#3 ·
I play jazz, and big band style music, and have been playing about 7 or 8 years now. On my cannonball I still use the stock mpc, and I have an old conn precision on the Martin indiana. I'm going for a good "warm" tone.

#4 ·
Haha, slow down tiger; I can't fathom a metalite giving a 'warm' tone. Colorful and extremely brilliant? Yes. Sticking out as lead player in a big band? Yes. A screamer in 'modern' jazz? Yes. A love maker for a soft soothing ballad commonly played in the bedroom before evoking certain emotions of sensuality, relaxation, and/or suspended mental bliss? I don't think so.

Metalite's are known for being very loud[?], bright, edgy mouthpieces. Personally for a "warm" tone, I would suggest something along the lines of a HR Link, a vandoren V5 or V16, or many other non-rock/funk/rnb orientated mouthpieces.

#7 ·
I can get a warm tone out of my Metalite MTM7. It actually subtones quite nicely. It's not only bright & edgy. There's more complexity to it than that.
I can only second that! It can do everything. That's the beauty of this piece. Very cheap to acquire and it does everything you want it to do. M7 for me!
I was also very pleasantly surprised...

#8 ·
A subtone can get a lot of a "bright" mouthpiece. The Metalites are definitely one dimensional though. You'd be more versatile on the new "Vintage" slant by otto link, though it is like 15 times the price.

#12 ·
If you're playing on relatively closed mouthpieces like the ones you mentioned, try the 5 first. It won't cost you that much, and it's the safest bet. Then come back here and tell us how you like it.

#15 ·
You can play jazz as smooth and warm as you would like on a Metalite as long if you are not pushing it too hard.
It all depends on your embouchure and your air control and aiming for the sound you got in your head. Or simply put: hold your horses.
I would recommend the M9. But if that is a too big leap a M7 tip.
I think it is actually great fun to play a mouthpiece like this for jazz knowing it has got a lot more power under the hood.
But beware it can be loud!
It would probably be not be the best choice for ensemble work unless the other saxes play metalites too.

#19 ·
I'm currently using a Meyer 6M on my tenor. I bought it a couple of years ago and it was my only mouthpiece. Then i started reading threads here about getting that 'big sound' and got some, I'll admit, big ideas. So I shelved the Meyer and bought a Guardala MBII at WWBW last year. I was using 2.5 Vandoren Green Box Javas with the MBII. I could blow it but it took a lot of work. I finally admitted to myself that I was in over my head. I've been playing a couple of years but still consider myself a beginner. Jazz standards are my area of interest and I can play Summertime, Sunny Side of the Street, All of Me and a few more in this genre. Right now I'm starting on Georgia on my Mind.

A couple of months ago, I bought a Vandoren Java (not a Jumbo Java) T75 tenor mouthpiece in new condition from a seller here. I put away the MBII and started using the HR Java T75 with 2.5 Green Box Javas. While I found it easier to blow than the MBII, it didn't come easily or naturally.

So I went back to the Meyer 6M using 3 Green Box Java reeds. I've tried the ZZs, the Red Box, and the V16s and find the Green Box Javas to be the easiest to play with and I like the sound I'm getting. Now that I've come back to the Meyer, I've gained a new appreciation for it. I find I can control it and bend notes with it and my facial/jaw muscles don't get tired using it. The only drawback is that I have to be careful not to overflow it.

Sorry for the preamble beginning to sound more like rambling but here's a question for you more experienced players out there: the Rico Metallites are cheap and I'm going to buy one. I'd like to go a step up from my Meyer 6M with regard to getting a little bigger sound but I don't want to get in over my head again. Can you suggest a Metallite (M7, for example) which might take me up a step? Thanks.
Jim

#21 ·
I'm currently using a Meyer 6M on my tenor. [ . . . . ]

A couple of months ago, I bought a Vandoren Java (not a Jumbo Java) T75 tenor mouthpiece in new condition from a seller here. I put away the MBII and started using the HR Java T75 with 2.5 Green Box Javas. While I found it easier to blow than the MBII, it didn't come easily or naturally.

[ . . . . ]

Sorry for the preamble beginning to sound more like rambling but here's a question for you more experienced players out there: the Rico Metallites are cheap and I'm going to buy one. I'd like to go a step up from my Meyer 6M with regard to getting a little bigger sound but I don't want to get in over my head again. Can you suggest a Metallite (M7, for example) which might take me up a step? Thanks.
Jim
Could be you're just more comfortable with a smaller tip openings. Don't know what the tip opening is on the Guardala, but the T75's supposed to be .104. IIRC a Meyer tenor 6 is about .080.

The Metalite M7 is supposed to be .105. You might not like it any better than the T75.

The M5 is supposed to be .093.

The Metalites are so cheap you could buy an M5 and an M7 at the same time without too much wallet damage, and go from there!!

Also, I have zero experience with Meyer tenor pieces, but I play a T75. I'm guessing if you compared the chamber of your T75 to your Meyer, the Meyer's will be larger. Could be a slightly larger tip on a Meyer with the small chamber option might get you where you want to go. But the Metalites are so cheap I would start there first.

[ . . . . ]They do tend to become warmer as the tip size increases....be aware of that.
Hmm. I had been wondering if I can handle a large tip / high baffle / soft reed set-up, and didn't think about the Metalites. The M9's spec'd at .115, and And it's cheap. Hmmmmmm. :twisted:

#20 ·
I too play Metalites, & they are anything but "one dimensional".
With practice they can do pretty well everything....Warm, subtone, whisper, scream....it's the player not the mouthpiece.
They do tend to become warmer as the tip size increases....be aware of that.

#24 ·
I'll repeat what some others have said. The Metalites cost so little that you're not taking much of a risk to get one and see if it works for you. If you don't like it, you may be able to sell it for near what you paid for it. Or you can put it away in a drawer like your other pieces and try it out again in a few months, when you have a more developed embouchure, sound concept, etc. But if you don't like it and don't do anything with it and leave in a drawer for the rest of eternity, you're not out very much for the knowledge.

#26 ·
Great suggestion, donnc. I'm humbled that I didn't think of that. It's a bit late here now and the wife wouldn't appreciate me firing up the horn right now. Otherwise I'd be on my way down to the basement. But I'll be taking your advice in the morning with softer reeds for both the MBII and the T75. Thanks.
Jim

#27 ·
Yes, MartinMusicMan, the Metalites are cheap and my curiosity has overcome my frugalness. I was going to sell the Meyer after I bought the MBII but instead, "put it away in a drawer". I'm glad I did because since I took it out of the drawer, I've become very comfortable playing it. And yes, as my embouchure develops, I can always pull mouthpieces out of the drawer and give them another try. Thanks for your input.
Jim

#28 ·
bruce bailey, that's interesting about the Meyer 8M. I've been thinking about moving up to a Meyer 7M or 8M as my embouchure develops, seeing how I like the Meyer 6M, so i'm encouraged by your opinion of the 8M. I may be going to Calgary, Alberta in a couple of weeks and I'm planning to try out the 7M and 8M and whatever else catches my eye. Thanks.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.