Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very good review Steve. I'm using them as a backup of my backup. Pricewise they are unbeatable.
I even like the sound they produce, though producing the sound is somewhat odd. I also have the feeling that some notes flow easier than others.
I do use a Metalite M7 on baritone as my main piece. Huge sound.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good review Steve. I'm using them as a backup of my backup. Pricewise they are unbeatable.
I even like the sound they produce, though producing the sound is somewhat odd. I also have the feeling that some notes flow easier than others.
I do use a Metalite M7 on baritone as my main piece. Huge sound.
Thanks! Yeah, I have heard from a bunch of people that use these on bari. I didn't realize they were so popular on that horn. I guess they are cheap and do the job and there are not as many choices on bari.........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,253 Posts
Look closely at Doc Coopas mouthpiece:

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,019 Posts
I keep an M7 in my gig bag for when I forget to pack my regular mouthpiece for a gig (which happens more often that I would like :)) It does the job in a pinch. And btw, Steve, you make every mouthpiece you review sound great - even the $30 ones.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Great review, thanks! I sometimes play an M7 tenor with Rigotti Gold 2.5 mediums, and it's ... okay. A totally worthy backup. But I was surprised to find that the M7 alto really shines with a Fibracell on my more focused horns. Maybe you should review the Metalite alto next!

Brilhart must be the Eames of mouthpiece design. I guess it makes sense that he designed both the Tonalin and the Metalite, which both used "revolutionary materials" for their time. Vintage Tonalins are pricey today, but I wonder if they too were originally designed as an inexpensive alternative to HR or metal?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I keep a tenor M9 in my car's glovebox for emergencies. I also have a baritone M9 that I bought when I first got my BSX and didn't have a mouthpiece. It took a few months before I found BSX mouthpieces that I liked significantly better and they cost 10-15X more. I would say these are gateway mouthpieces to be used by kids in HS or for people who are casual players and don't want to spend a lot of cash on a mpc. I pull them out on occasion and give them a workout in case I ever have to use them. I like the BSX model more than the TSX. A lot of value here....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts