Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just bought an M5 Alto and It is really good - just been doing a comparison with my Jumbo Java A55. If anything the Metalite is slightly more cutting, has good intonation and plays well. They both have the infamous step baffle but the Metalite is slightly smaller size wise. Very impressed for such a low price - and an ideal choice where someone wants a loud, bright mouthpiece for occasional playing!

BB

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just bought an M5 Alto and It is really good - just been doing a comparison with my Jumbo Java A55.
What's the general wisdom on choosing a Metalite M5 versus Metalite M7 for alto sax (for those who must buy without trying first)? Which reed model and strength are folks using with either? Has anyone tried each of these with, say, a Vandoren Java (Green) #3? Do people feel the M5 is too "closed"? Is the M7 too "open"?

Bertie, I'm curious why you selected the M5 instead of the M7. The Metalite M5 has a tip opening of 0.077" according to this, whereas the Vandoren Jumbo Java has a tip opening of 0.097" according to this. According to those sources, the Metalite M7 has a tip opening pretty close to that of a Vandoren Jumbo Java A45. If I understood BertieB correctly, though, the step baffle of the Metalite M5 is not as "extreme" as that of the Vandoren JJ A55.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
for me the low register is eaiser to play on the 5 vs the 7 . the 5 is so easy to play

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased a M7 and found it very easy to control and works well with Rico Orange Box or Rico Royal 2 1/2 reeds. I have never tried Plasticovers. I have heard that those who use them have a love/hate relationship with them because of the plastic cover.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
I just got my M7 for alto. I love playing it. It's free-blowing, intonation is good, and I have good control. I can subtone on it as well as scream, and the low notes pop out more easily than on the other pieces I have. As I said in another thread, I like more open pieces so I never considered an M5. Instead, I also found a NOS M11 on ebay and I'm waiting on an M9 from a member here on SOTW. I have to blow much harder on the M11 and it seems like it's harder to control. I'm waiting to find out what the M9 is like in comparison to the M7. The M7 will probably be my main alto piece unless I find out that the M9 has some qualities that I like better.

If you're trying to decide between the M5 and M7, I would agree with MojoBari that given their low price, why not buy both and have fun deciding which one you like the best. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
To SaxMusic Guy: One of the great things about the Metalite is they have great response in all registers and a very gutsy low register. As far as choice of reeds, I have found good consistancy with Orangebox Rico 2.5 and even better with the Rico Royal 2.5. With the M7, I am in good control in the lower register without honking and I can achieve from very soft (hearing the breath through the horn) to very loud with that signature ballsy fat sound that Metalites give. The Rico reeds haven't let me down. BUT! I would like to try a Rico Jazz 2H and 3S just to see how the reponse would differ. :grommit:

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Luvking and MartinMusic, what mouthpiece and tip did you play before you got your M7?

I had low register problems the last time I tried a Metalite alto. But I can't remember the opening and reed strength.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts