Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found (IMO) the perfect reed for me. I love either the 2M or 2S on my RPC tenor pieces. I'm finding 3 out of 5 in a box that play like a dream...the other 2 are usually reserved for the big box of reeds that don't respond perfectly (I must have 100+ in there right now).

I have 2 questions...
  1. What is it about these reeds that makes them respond and sound so great for me?
  2. Are there other reeds with a similar sound/response that I should try?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I found 2Ms work great on my alto RPC haha. I use the Unfiled version. Also found LaVoz works great too...

Did you get a new box of UF I was wondering if they happen to be cut really weird...some of mine were.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
3H Unfiled on my 6 Link. Love it, just a really nice and spread sound with the right amount of focus.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just bought a few boxes of the unfiled for tenor, and they're all cut like they've always been, at least nothign weird that i noticed.
I've recently found I LOVE these reeds, so much more than vandoren, which is what i was playing on for like 5 years. They just have a nice warm tone, without too much buzz. and they're like.. IMO, a blank slate for sound, the vandorens try to cater too much to each individual "sound"...the jazz selects are just reeds, but they're great, and I can get many different sounds from them.

oh, btw, I switched between sizes for a while, but have settled on 4M uf for my otto link tone edge. Great warm sound with a little edge....ala Warne Marsh

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
chops2200 said:
I just bought a few boxes of the unfiled for tenor, and they're all cut like they've always been, at least nothign weird that i noticed.
I've recently found I LOVE these reeds, so much more than vandoren, which is what i was playing on for like 5 years. They just have a nice warm tone, without too much buzz. and they're like.. IMO, a blank slate for sound, the vandorens try to cater too much to each individual "sound"...the jazz selects are just reeds, but they're great, and I can get many different sounds from them.
I see. Well I know another member brought it up...I got a box like 2 months ago and sometimes (forgive me I don't know reed terminology too well) the hard bark part (cut like a U) would extend far down the rail while the older ones wouldn't go very far down the side. I got a few bad reeds outta that box...maybe just a bad box.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I would suggest sticking with them if you love them so much. AND buy a bunch from the same vintage to stash. Often your favorite reed changes from one cane harvest to the next (he said sadly.)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I like the RJS too. Out of all the Rico brand reeds, I think they're the most consistent. When I get a good one, they feel like a louder and slightly buzzier Rico Royal.

Don't worry, eventually you'll get a few boxes that blow (not in musical sense, ha) and you'll curse Rico's name :twisted:
-Dan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
It's not just us, many of the top pros play the RJS. The list of names is a long one.

They have a middle of the road sound with just the right amount of dark/bright and like any reed they can be worked and tweaked to perfection about 4 out of 5 times. As far as the design you'll notice they are a thicker reed if you compare the heel thickness to other rico offerings like the Lavoz or Royal. It's a meaty design that the gets the job done for $5 to 10 less than boutique reeds.

These are the only reeds I play for S/A/T and even when I borrow a baritone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
chops2200 said:
. . . I've recently found I LOVE these reeds, so much more than vandoren, which is what i was playing on for like 5 years. . . .Marsh
I also switched from Vandorens to RJS (3M filed). The tone is great and the consistency of the RJS was better in my experience. BTW, for a darker tone, I like the Gonzalez too.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
MM said:
I would suggest sticking with them if you love them so much. AND buy a bunch from the same vintage to stash. Often your favorite reed changes from one cane harvest to the next (he said sadly.)
Actually, I have notices some very bad cuts recently; as a result I went to several different shops and bought one box until I found a good one, the I bought 10 boxes. As the stocking varies from time to time for turnover I find this is the best way for me to get consistent cuts.

Too bad those days of picking through the boxes to buy one or two are long gone.

·
Registered
892 Posts
benjamin1979 said:
for me filed and unfiled is very different. i cant get unfiled work on my jody jazz 6M alto. 3M reed.
Unlike many of the guys here I notice the difference between filed and unfiled for tenor. Maybe the difference is not obvious on alto or soprano.

The filed sounds brighter and responsive. I can't play the darker unfiled that well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
GAS_Wyo said:
  1. What is it about these reeds that makes them respond and sound so great for me?
  2. Are there other reeds with a similar sound/response that I should try?

Im not sure abt this, but this is what I know n my views on reeds

Basically as we all know, reeds comes in 2 forms, french cut and amercian cut. Vandoren I believe to be all using french cut. And rico, quite a handful are american cuts.

It did come to thought that I think I should sound better if I use an american cut for my jazz mpc, but thats not entirely true. It all depends on the player.

American cuts has a shorter heartwood and a thicker tip compare to french cut ones. Thats why they are able to vibrate more along the 'rails' of the mpc, creating that edgy sound. That is known as the 'edge'.

Therefore I do believe in this theory and somehow american reeds are more responsive and brighter. Amercian cut reeds after all, are meant for jazz.

I tried filing before, depending how bad it is, some reeds are just 'bad'. You cant salvage it. Others improve if you just file a bit to even the areas ard the heartwood.

Yupz, thats what I learn and enlighten so far abt reeds. Do share yr exprience here. =)

Im using La Voz for my alto for now. Previously im using hemke 3

Trying to get my hands on rico reverse

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I haven't been able to tell a big difference in many brands. I am happy with La Voz though. RJS might be a step up.

Largely I find if I buy the right strength then most of the reeds are playable. Occassionally I will get a really badly warped reed, but it's rare.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
bLu3sU3d3 said:
Im not sure abt this, but this is what I know n my views on reeds

Basically as we all know, reeds comes in 2 forms, french cut and amercian cut. Vandoren I believe to be all using french cut. And rico, quite a handful are american cuts.

It did come to thought that I think I should sound better if I use an american cut for my jazz mpc, but thats not entirely true. It all depends on the player.

American cuts has a shorter heartwood and a thicker tip compare to french cut ones. Thats why they are able to vibrate more along the 'rails' of the mpc, creating that edgy sound. That is known as the 'edge'.

Therefore I do believe in this theory and somehow american reeds are more responsive and brighter. Amercian cut reeds after all, are meant for jazz.

I tried filing before, depending how bad it is, some reeds are just 'bad'. You cant salvage it. Others improve if you just file a bit to even the areas ard the heartwood.

Yupz, thats what I learn and enlighten so far abt reeds. Do share yr exprience here. =)

Im using La Voz for my alto for now. Previously im using hemke 3

Trying to get my hands on rico reverse
The only Vandoren reeds with the French cut are Traditionals, also, Rico Royals, and Hemkes are French Style, along with any filed reed.

Orange box Ricos are American cut.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the terms "French" and "American" have anything to do with the thickness of the tip, just the presence or absence of the file.

I have never heard of the "Rico reverse" reeds. Do you play them backwards?:)

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Way back when these reeds first appeared -- mid 1990s sometime -- a guy in a music store gave me a Rico Jazz Select, and said: Just try this and see if you don't like it. I immediately noticed a very good difference (much as described by others above) and have used them virtually exclusively ever since (once in awhile I experiment, but always go back). I don't know why they work so well, but for me they certainly do, and I too find them quite consistent. I prefer the filed, but will play the unfiled at need.

When I got my RPCs, Ron Coelho strongly recommended the RJS 2Ms for his pieces -- which is the reed I was already using. Certainly with the RPC it's a good combination, for me at any rate.

·
Registered
140 Posts
haha hi martin, sorry abt that, its rico reserve. =)

I do agree with you that the cuts has nothing to do with the thickness. The cuts are basically how the way they are made. The strengths of the reeds however, has nothing to do with the thickness of the reed I believe, rather its the density of the cane and the point of time they are cut and process to become reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
bLu3sU3d3 said:
I do agree with you that the cuts has nothing to do with the thickness. The cuts are basically how the way they are made. The strengths of the reeds however, has nothing to do with the thickness of the reed I believe, rather its the density of the cane and the point of time they are cut and process to become reed.

The strength of a reed does depend somewhat on how thick it is cut. Shave a bunch off a reed and see what I mean. Although you are right about the density. I shaved down 5 will still probably play harder than a regular 3 or 3.5.

·
Registered
140 Posts
icic. noted martin. I'll remember that, I just started learning filing, and I dun really have any idea what Im doing when Im sanding my reed bit by bit. SHall 'reed' more from books to learn. haha

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I still use them, (3H on alto) and they're good while they last.....but they don't last.
I've found they die very quickly during a 3 hour rehearsal or a long afternoon of teaching.

Give them a rest and they come back to life pretty well though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts