Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone using Rico Jazz selects noticing that the reeds have been a bit soft lately? I've been using 3Ms but may need to move up to 3H's now as the boxes have been a bit soft for what they usually are.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

·
Premium Member
'71 MKVI
116 Posts
Yep. They vary box to box as would any brand. Sometimes though it seems like you get a couple of boxes in a row that are gauged entirely differently in terms of strength. It's frustrating but I keep playing through them and try to remember how great the good ones were. Then, when they wear out, I open the next box like I'm a kid opening a christmas present hoping it's going to be what I always wanted - a good batch of reeds!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've actually had the opposite happen to me. I used to play on 3S's before they started feeling WAY too hard for me. I had to move down to 2H to get a similar feel to the old 3S's I used. One of my old instructors used to "jokingly" say that 3S and above on RJS was the "danger zone" for him when it came to whatever hardness was stamped on the reed… I guess that explains why he likes Vandorens more. :scratch:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts