Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing Rico reeds exclusively since I began playing sax about 10 years ago. About two years ago, I found out about the "Player's Points" that are supposed to be on all D'Addario packaging (including Rico products).

When I played RJS, I could never find any indication of the point value anywhere on the box, so I always just tossed the packaging in my paper recycling bin. When I began playing Plasticovers a couple months ago, all the reed boxes had (and still have!) clear point values on them.

Are there only certain products that have point values? Do I just always happen to get old stock boxes of Plasticovers or RJS, and the point system was cancelled?

I'm curious because if RJS boxes actually do have values, then I've wasted a couple hundred points by throwing them out... :|

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've been told that the RJS boxes do not have them - only the CASES of RJS Reeds that Rico supplies to vendors. It doesn't make sense since all other Rico boxes have them...unfortunately I don't remember where I got that info - but it wasn't directly from Rico.

Let us know if you find anything out.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
I've never heard of "player's points." Can you explain what they are?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Kind of like "box tops for education" - each product made by D'Addario, Evans, Rico, Planet Waves, comes with a certain number of "points" on the packaging that you can cut out. Save up enough & you can get shirts, pint glasses, etc. - check it out here:

http://www.ricoreeds.com/RicoPlayersPoints.Page?ActiveID=1866&language_id=1&currency_id=1

They charge for shipping of course - but I've picked up quite a lot of stuff from them over the years.

To anyone interested in the OP - I sent Rico an e-mail asking about the lack of points on RJS boxes - I'll update this thread when I get a response.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been told that the RJS boxes do not have them - only the CASES of RJS Reeds that Rico supplies to vendors. It doesn't make sense since all other Rico boxes have them...unfortunately I don't remember where I got that info - but it wasn't directly from Rico.

Let us know if you find anything out.
Oh, now that is bogus, IMO... I'll have to ask my buddy at my local music store if that really is the case. I'll ask the next time I head over there. Thanks for the lead.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Never heard back from Rico despite a 48 hour reply promise. However, I just got a new order of reeds in the mail today & found something interesting...new (or really old?) packaging that had the players points on the box! Maybe they're finally taking care of this. Take a look to compare.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I must be missing it in the photo--where are the points depicted on either box? I believe that the one on the right is their newest packaging, BTW.

Never heard back from Rico despite a 48 hour reply promise. However, I just got a new order of reeds in the mail today & found something interesting...new (or really old?) packaging that had the players points on the box! Maybe they're finally taking care of this. Take a look to compare.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The box on the left is the kind I'm talking about – no points indicator anywhere on any of those type of boxes I've ever bought. If we could get a picture of the back of the boxes, that would probably help a lot. That's where the points are on my Plasticovers. Supposedly they're located by the UPC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts