Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've seen him couple time live and he sure can rock! I dig his tone, too.

Kenny.

·
Registered
928 Posts
According to the local smooth jazz station Richard Elliot is a feature perfomer at the Jazz Festival in San Diego on May 26th.

·
Registered
300 Posts
He sounds great as usual.

My only beef was that the one time I saw him live (must have been in the late 80's/early 90's), he played practically note for note what was on all of his tracks, solos included. I think would have preferred for him to have opened up a little.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
I lived in So Cal in the late 80s, after Richard had left TOP and was getting his smooth jazz thing together. He played every Sunday afternoon in a local yuppie bar for free. My wife and I were there every week. It was great to be able to see him up close in an environment like that, playing great even then.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked out some of his stuff from his earlier days when he first left Tower of Power and his first album. Seems he was always putting out great stuff.

I guess the man was born to play sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Geez Wailin! First you look like Everette Harp and now you look like Gerald Allbright! Who's next?;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
I'm always grabbed when I hear him on the Smooth jazz channel. I look up the track on their website and sure enough its Richard. Cool, K

·
Registered
23 Posts
For me, that was just really boring. How many times can you lean back and play a high note? The rest was just pentatonic B.S. Sax playing like this actually makes me ill, because it feeds into that stereotypical 80's sax guy crap. Pure cheese. For smooth jazz, the only guys really doing anything worth listening to are guys like Kirk Whalum or Gerald Albright.

·
4,370 Posts
smallvillesax said:
For me, that was just really boring. How many times can you lean back and play a high note? The rest was just pentatonic B.S. Sax playing like this actually makes me ill, because it feeds into that stereotypical 80's sax guy crap. Pure cheese. For smooth jazz, the only guys really doing anything worth listening to are guys like Kirk Whalum or Gerald Albright.

OUCH! But then, I guess we can't all be superman........:shock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's right, baby!

Sorry, that was just my honest opinion of his playing. He wasn't doing anything harmonically at all. Just posturing. I have a couple of Elliot albums and I have seen him in concert (opened for him). Just never impressed me much.

·
4,370 Posts
I understand...to each their own. There are some people whose music I don't like......it would be boring if we all thought alike!

·
Banned
297 Posts
thanks, I was thinking the same thing! its makes me scared to think that in order to get a gig maybe we all have to play that...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How dare anybody disrespect Richard Elliot like that. You should hear some of earlier stuff. Altissimo like crazy!

I do rate Kirk Whalum and Gerald Albright, yes. But Richard has one of the prettiest tone you ever sadly missing in many sax players. He does not sound reedy!

Plus, some of the stuff he does sounds simple but then there's some complex stuff. I doubt you have listened extensively to his stuff. The incredible stuff he does is not on smooth jazz stations. They are on his earlier albums.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts