Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

occasionally I see Rich Perry's name come up, but this master needs to be talked about more often. His sound, melodic/harmonic concept, & sheer musical technique is off the charts. I now have four of his albums, and they are all killin'!!!!!!

Here's a sweet video of Rich doing his thing with a cool group:

I would love to see him live. I guess I'll have to go to the east coast because I doubt he'll be in Colorado anytime soon.

later

JOel

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Rich Perry is my favorite living tenor player. The man has it all, and the way he resolves is always so hip. His solo over "Epistrophy" at 3:18 in the video below is one of my favorites of his on YouTube. He doesn't get the attention he deserves.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Good call! He plays fairly regularly at Small's with different groups. So if you're registered there (free) you can stream the live jazz any night of the week. Or check him out on some of the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra recordings like Plays the Music of Herbie Hancock.

https://youtu.be/_IPY0Pf9IMA

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,960 Posts
Amen to Rich Perry. I first heard him playing lead tenor with the Maria Schneider orchestra. Whew...

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
I used to hear him lay waste to Lovano in Mel’s band.
Still one of the most musical tenor players out there.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
When I was in college our Jazz Ensemble played in a Jazz festival of sorts that featured the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Big Band. This was at Morehead State University in Morehead, Kentucky...in the late 1970's. During the event, the Sax section from the Jones / Lewis band did a clinic with the Sax players from the various participating bands. I was able to meet Rich Perry at that time (Jerry Dodgion too). Rich had long blondish hair at the time and played a delacquered Mark VI. I asked him about it and I recall that he said that he had it 'acid dipped'. In the video posted above he is also playing a lacquer-less Mark VI...I wonder if it is the same horn ? If so, it must have a LOT of miles on it by now. I must have been playing a Martin Tenor Sax at this time thinking back...bought my BA in 1980. Anyway, Rich was and still is a great player.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those links with the early recordings of Rich really show Joe Henderson's influence on Rich's playing.

later

JOel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts