Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Tenor Sax player and was wondering if someone could give me a little info on why i can't seem to buy RIA mouthpieces? are they out of business or.............what? :space0:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I believe RIA is an acronym for a company in Italy that belonged to Rino Peverelli. RIA stands for "Reed Instrument Accessories", I think. This company is no longer in business. The name "RIA FINE SAXOPHONE & CLARINET MOUTHPIECES" belongs to MusiciansFriend.com. I don't know if their mouthpieces are like the Italian RIA pieces or not.

One thing to remember about the Italian RIA mouthpieces is that the size numbering system is very different from most other manufacturers. A #7 in a RIA is usually a huge tip.

·
Registered
772 Posts
In 80's I had and played RIA pieces. They were sold then by WW&BW. I had an Aluminium (!) Tenor mpc with #7 tip (.110), a Metal #6 (.100) and a Metal #8 (.120 tip). I say "metal" as I don't really know what metal they were made of. Anyway they were quite heavy. Mine were nickel plated (not the Aluminium of course). Mojo has seen also silver plated ones. I also had a hard rubber #4 alto piece, felt like a .70 tip, but I'm not sure.
I still have one almost unplayed #4 (.80) Metal Tenor piece I bought for my son when he seemed to be interested in trying tenor playing.
Wayne Shorter once played a RIA #10 or 10* mpc. That's .140 or .145!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts