Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one use or recommend a software program that can play rhythms for a percussion background for practicing?

Maybe I am thinking of something like band in the box but I don't know what is available.

Does any one have a suggestion of a program or software that could be a glorified metronome that has drums and tempos on it?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
You could do that with BIAB by just muting every instrument except drums. If your not going to be saving any work you could probably just use their demo version.

Demo BIAB

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Do you want a drummer or a metronome?

The two aren't the same in my book.

There's drum loops and drum software available all over the place. Ask any teenager .

There are also online metronomes, metronome software and the like available.

I use BIAB. Through the PC speakers, I can turn it up louder than most portable metronomes. I just made up a few styles, such as quarter notes, 8ths, 16ths, 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 etc with just the bass drum and snare.

It's not hard to do if you're familiar with BIAB. For those that aren't, if someone can host them somewhere, I've got a bunch of them I can offer.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a metronome.

I am looking for a drummer condensed into an inanimate software program so I won't need a human drummer as they are seldom house trained and require too much stroking to get to actually work right.:twisted:

I don't have BIAB and was wondering if there was something out there, similar to what key boards have is a percussion beat and style program.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
There is a drum metronome CD set available from CDBaby. I have an use this tool and it is terrific. The volume I have is 4/4 beats from 50 to 400 (IIRC, its at home and I'm at work).

I believe that a 3/4 version is also available.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Why not buy a cheap second-hand digital piano?
Plenty of different rhythms on these and you can vary the tempos.
Most will let you record dozens of set numbers of bars in the rhythms and tempos of your choice.
Each of these you can label with a tune name and replay whenever you wish. You can even increase or decrease the tempo on playback.
You don't need to be able to play the instrument.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doghouse Riley said:
Why not buy a cheap second-hand digital piano?
Plenty of different rhythms on these and you can vary the tempos.
Most will let you record dozens of set numbers of bars in the rhythms and tempos of your choice.
Each of these you can label with a tune name and replay whenever you wish. You can even increase or decrease the tempo on playback.
You don't need to be able to play the instrument.
Actually that couild be a very good idea. I see them at yard sales all the time.

It would be a lot more fun rehearsing with a fake drummer and having and almost life like feel to it than concentrating to a metronome tic toc.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts