Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious about this tenor on Ebay. Seems like a Martin horn on first look (also serial # seems to fit in the Martin range) - but named a Reynolds Contempora MusicMan. I searched around on this site and found threads that this model maybe a Beuscher (note square G# key) or a Martin stencil. But youve got to love the engraving! Price shot up at last minute (somebody wanted it!) - intrigued....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=007#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
243 Posts
pretty horn but engraving isn't going to make you sound better or a more interesting player you'd be better of taking lessons for a year i have 4 altos 3 of them arwe relacs it really makes very little differnce sound wise and the one that isn't looks like it was pulled out of a fire
2 king zyephers
couf suberba I
SML revision D

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I love relaqs. I don't care if I am not going to sell it later. As long as the tone holes aren't damaged, or to much metal is taken off. A good looking horn for a good price is a good looking horn at a great price for me.

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
You'll find this one in the misc stencils section of the Martin page on saxpics.com. Nice looking sax! I hope it's in as good condition as the seller says.

Rory

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks rory!

rleitch said:
You'll find this one in the misc stencils section of the Martin page on saxpics.com. Nice looking sax! I hope it's in as good condition as the seller says.

Rory
I looked there and missed it somehow!
So its basically a "the Martin" tenor. When companies made stencils did they change the metal at all? I read that on one of the threads I found ... seems unlikely to me...
I agree - I thought it looked good too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carbs said:
No its a musicman.

Try this site

www.saxpics.com
that's where I looked. (if you read the thread :) )
Ok maybe I was being too general when I called it basically "the Martin". I understand its a "Musicman" model - but its different than the martin Musicman. What's the difference between a "the martin" and a Martin Musicman other than the cosmetic differences?

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
chkymnky said:
What's the difference between a "the martin" and a Martin Musicman other than the cosmetic differences?
Absolutely nothing. The are the exact same horn save for the engraved "Music Man" around the body/bow ring.

The Magna is the same model as the Martin Committee save for a few minor differences/upgrades as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
At the time, Reynolds and Martin were under the RMC ownership. In the movie, they actually used Reynolds horns. I assume that the Martin/Reynolds Music Man was just a connection to sell horns.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Absolutely nothing. The are the exact same horn save for the engraved "Music Man" around the body/bow ring.

The Magna is the same model as the Martin Committee save for a few minor differences/upgrades as well.
............Except for the Magna Low A bari, which adds a Low A to the otherwise Low B flat The Martin.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Stupid question:

I own a Music Man Tenor and Alto (bought them from Jason DuMars).
The Tenor is 216.xxx and both say "The Martin" and have the RMC engraving on it.

According to saxpics it is a Series 3:

The third series is "The Official Music Man" model, a a limited edition horn produced in 1962-1964 after the movie of the same name. This engraving appeared on the bow and are the rarest Martins out there. Allegedly they're the best honkers with the best intonation, too. I have one example of a model with BOTH the RMC shield and "The Music Man" engraving. There were also other Reynolds horns produced under the aegis of "The Official Music Man".
But how can intonation be better than on the other horns if nothing has changed?!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
kryz said:
But how can intonation be better than on the other horns if nothing has changed?!
Not stupid at all. I own and play Martin Committee horns from the 1940's through to the early 1960's, and I don't agree with that statement.

If one were to subscribe to this theory, the means to achieve this would/could involve Subtle changes in the neck, tone hole placement (Martins DO have soldered tone holes, this isn't as big of a hassle to change as one would think), and/or tweaks in the body bore.

There is a slight, and I do mean slight, overall brightening of the core tone on the later models, so perhaps some tweaking was done.

The acid test, comparing the different vintage models against one another with a digital tuner, reveals no marked different in intonation however.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
The woman selling the horn was asking for help on the music discussion boards on Ebay. I saw her post and tried to help her. Without the picture, I had to go on the info she sent me. Told her it was a Martin Music Man and if in good condition, would sell quickly. Without a picture, I told her she should go to SOTW, where the guys know everything about every horn made. She E-mailed me the next day to express her thanks and said to have a look at her listing. When I saw the horn, I couldn't believe how nice it was. Brought big bucks as well. Not sure, but I seem to recall that she bought it at an estate sale.
Candy

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Hi Candy,

Thanks for the SOTW plug while answering that Ebayer's question. ;).

One small correction, I am delighted to say that our membership is not 4000, but closer to 15,000. :D

Cheers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Not stupid at all. I own and play Martin Committee horns from the 1940's through to the early 1960's, and I don't agree with that statement.

If one were to subscribe to this theory, the means to achieve this would/could involve Subtle changes in the neck, tone hole placement (Martins DO have soldered tone holes, this isn't as big of a hassle to change as one would think), and/or tweaks in the body bore.

There is a slight, and I do mean slight, overall brightening of the core tone on the later models, so perhaps some tweaking was done.

The acid test, comparing the different vintage models against one another with a digital tuner, reveals no marked different in intonation however.
Well, mine plays well and with some practice I'll be able to controll it.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts