Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to buying this box set used off eBay. I contains no less than 5 Getz records that were missing from my Getz collection. I should not have waited this long. This is an fabulous array of styles including some very very contemporary almost "smooth" jazz stuff, all with Stan's towering genius fully on display. His playing in the 70's was outrageously good, there is not a bad recording in this entire box.

The music is truly revelatory and these remasters... wow! Vast Vast improvement over the 3 CDs I already have when listening side by side, there is really no comparison. A fantastic job was done on these. They music is crystal clear and the mixes are just about perfect. And these are not currently available as downloads on iTunes, GooglePlay, Amazon etc. And some of these are just incredibly obscure recordings. They should not be!

This is from Steve Leggett on Allmusic: "With his beautiful, Lester Young-inspired tone, his grace with a melody, and his willingness to gently push boundaries, tenor saxophonist Stan Getz was known as "The Sound" for good reason. Coming to fame with the Woody Herman band in the '40s, he held his own through both the swing and bebop eras, then found renewed commercial success in the early '60s when a João Gilberto collaboration, "The Girl from Ipanema," was a big hit and ushered in a bossa nova boom. Getz loved playing with bold young players like Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke, and he didn't shy away from new technology, championing the Echoplex for a time. This wonderful set includes the albums he recorded for Columbia Records between 1972 and 1979 (most of which he produced himself), as well as the soundtrack LP to a Dutch film called Forest Eyes from 1979, and a bonus disc of Getz at Carnegie Hall for the 40th anniversary of the Woody Herman band that also includes live sets from the 1977 Montreux Jazz and the 1979 Havana Jam festivals. It's beautifully packaged, and Getz is Getz throughout."

This is a somewhat overlooked part of Getz' discography. I would try to score a copy of this ASAP as it seems to be OOP now. You cannot go wrong with this.

View attachment 247128 View attachment 247132

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Thanks for posting...... embarrassed to say my own Getz collection skips right from mid-60s Verve straight to the 80’s quartet with Kenny Barron. Need to check these out!

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1980s is my least favorite Getz. He is still amazing don’t get me wrong, but he lost some small % of his magic IMO. This 1970s stuff, all the magic is there.

Do not miss your chance to get a copy of this cheap on eBay right now. Some of these are literally impossible to find and re-masters are incredible!

Thanks for posting...... embarrassed to say my own Getz collection skips right from mid-60s Verve straight to the 80’s quartet with Kenny Barron. Need to check these out!

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
I just like the 'Royal Roost' records for Getz.
In cleaning out my late MIL's house, there were hundreds of those 'collections' going back to the jazz of the '20s including every major big band and all the various artists. Had to take them to the dumpster for lack of interest. Even took them to the record store that buys old vinyl and had to turn around and cart them home. Included a number of sets of 78s. They were obviously in at least one record club for probably 40 years. Literally hundreds of albums and collections. Now decorating 'Mt. Trashmore'. :)

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just like the 'Royal Roost' records for Getz.
In cleaning out my late MIL's house, there were hundreds of those 'collections' going back to the jazz of the '20s including every major big band and all the various artists. Had to take them to the dumpster for lack of interest. Even took them to the record store that buys old vinyl and had to turn around and cart them home. Included a number of sets of 78s. They were obviously in at least one record club for probably 40 years. Literally hundreds of albums and collections. Now decorating 'Mt. Trashmore'. :)
The RRoost is incredible stuff...about 1949-52 I think, just one significant part among many of Stan’s discography. He recorded a TON more important records! This is another.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
SMART MAN RIGHT HERE. It’s already impossible to find this goldmine of 1970s Getz material.
Do you all know about Discogs? It's a website where people sell lps, CDs, and some music DVDs and whatnot, and prices are generally pretty reasonable. It's a good place to look if you're trying to find something that's out of print. For example, they have a number of people selling the Getz Columbia set:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5833763?ev=rb

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes thats right. This is all available there for about what I paid for it on Ebay.

Do you all know about Discogs? It's a website where people sell lps, CDs, and some music DVDs and whatnot, and prices are generally pretty reasonable. It's a good place to look if you're trying to find something that's out of print. For example, they have a number of people selling the Getz Columbia set:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5833763?ev=rb

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
124 Posts
Added this to my list to purchase. The Discog prices are much less than what I would find on ebay or Amazon. I'm good with used CD's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts