Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Yup - pretty much the same thing that happened to me. I bought my Classic as a backup horn and it has ended up being my primary gigging horn. I realize that not everyone is going to love these horns but it's always fun to read the reaction of those that do; it's always that sort of "wow, I figured this horn would be okay but it's a lot more than I expected".

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Keith - What was your main horn ? And what finish is your PB Classic ?
My main horn was a YTS-875 Custom from the early 90's. I played that horn for about 15 years and I still have it. It took me about 2-3 hours playing the Barone to decide it was the better horn for me at this point. I still like the key work and the easy low-end response of the Yammy but the Barone has a bigger sound across the board. My Classic is gold plated and thus far the finish has held up really well as has the horn in general. The other tenor that I'm presently playing a lot is a bare-brass Tenor Madness Custom. It's like a cross between the YTS-875 and Barone. It's key work and response is more like the Yamaha and it's sound closer to the Barone though not as big and a bit more focused. I still play probably 8 out of 10 gigs on the Classic.

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Keith i do believe that the classic is considered to be a more focussed sound, and the vintage to be a more spread sound, or wider tonal palette. Is this your understanding ?
Yes, but I haven't spent much time playing the Barone Vintage models. I am lucky that Sax Alley is one of the few shops that carry Phil's horns so I have played some of the present instruments over the course of time but I have nowhere near the time on them that I have on my horn. In addition, my horn is really pre Classic/Vintage. Very early on Phil just had one model which more closely resembles the Classic so when folks ask what model I have I say "a Classic" but strictly speaking that's not true so my horn is not exactly like the Classic that Phil sells today.

As far as the rolled vs. straight tone hole discussion goes my belief is that isn't as big a deal as the other design characteristics concerning the bore of the horn. My TM Custom tenor has rolled tone holes but my Barone with straight tone holes has the bigger broader sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.