1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i have a few ligs that i favor...however in my book,the wanne is the most versatile...get the whole plate pack!!!! as well it has the LEAST problem of slipping out of place compared to others....f.e. the rovner eddie daniels holds in plays well,but when it DOES slip out of place,its a pain to get back.....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I bought the enlightened lig. and then all the plates on the recommendation of sirspinbad as a good Guardala fit. Very nice design and well made. I also had very pleasant interaction with his sales staff.

However, after gigging/woodshedding for about two months using the lig. on both my Guardala and my Ponzol metals I found it difficult to change the plates due to the extremely small screw, and that any movement in the plate clamp pushes the reed out of place very easily during gigs. Same thing with the enlightened on my Jumbo Java A45 and a75.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be tightening it down more? I have tried everything and am ready to jump ship and go back to a two screw selmer lig.

B

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
I think it depends on how tight your mouthpiece is on the cork. I never had any problems with the Wanne lig until a few weeks ago when I put on a new cork. It's pretty snug and tight with the mouthpiece and no matter how tight the lig it is moving when I try to adjust the piece. The fix for me is to use cork grease. Just a little bit makes it a ton easier to move the piece. I've had the same problem with my FL ligs at times also.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
Thanks Steve. You know exactly what I am speaking of. Need to tune during a chart and suddenly the reed is off center, blow and NO NOTE! Uggggh.

I use brass tuning fork grease to lubricate my cork but as you know with a Guardala if the reed is not in the exact right place well.......nothing.

B

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
ill say it again.....
the beauty of the wanne piece is that the reed plate is designed to float....just look at a francois louis...the plate is arched and the edges touch the reed...the wanne sits right on the reed...if you think about that 1 screw system,its brilliant!!! because the screw is keeping evenly divided pressure across the reed.... I tighten the screw THE LEAST AMOUNT while still having it hold the reed...and I NEVER HAVE SLIPPING PROBS..even when tuning,because of the streamlined ergonomics of the lig

modman...you may actually have bent your screw...do you have a backup screw??? i can send you one...or maybe someone in the states can do it......

i actually have 4 seperate ligs 2 tenor XL one soprano and a FL with the conversion screw...i just leave the plate on,so i never have that problem

i like titanium on soprano and guardala(luckily the same lig!!) Stainless steel and sterling silver on HR tenor and i keep one with the stock thick brass as well for metal link

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
haven't played my DG in a while(checkin out my new strathon!!).. just pulled it ou for he gig tonight

MODMAN i can se now,though the wanne soprano works GREAT on guardala...it is not a "perfect" fit and i can see how maybe youve been over tightening to compensate....i would try putting something under the top of the lig to balance the fit...perhaps a thin bite guard
ive never overtightened,but I see now that if you do the lig is not exactly perpendicular

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
I appreciate your advice, and it is not anybody's fault but I bought the ligature on the premise that it would actually fit the Guardala and not move around. Oh well live and learn.

B

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
actually I want to thank YOU...i played a SMOKIN boogie woogie gig tonight...havent touched the guardala in a while.... im really taking care to make sure i put the lig on pressing the top firmly against the top of the mouthpiece...you see the wanne has a three points contact system...usually top and sides...but with the guardala its really only the top...but VERY wide if you put it on right.....best response ive had from the lig EVER....and yes...in this situation I'm forced to tighten more than before so thanks for the insight M...I'm back with the wanne as my main guardala lig!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts