Sax on the Web Forum banner

Review of the Theo Wanne WATER Classical Alto Sax Mouthpiece

12K views 59 replies 19 participants last post by  Nefertiti 
#1 ·
New review posted of the Theo Wanne WATER classical alto saxophone mouthpiece. Hopefully, I won't get dragged over the coals by the classical saxophone elite out there, but I attempted to play almost all classical saxophone segments on this review. This is an absolutely great classical alto saxophone mouthpiece that is dark, warm and light while being incredibly even and focused throughout the range of the saxophone. I loved it! Check out the full review and sound clips at the link below.

Theo Wanne Water Classical Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece Review

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

See less See more
#2 ·
$99 - you said. This would actually work for some material I do. The other day, I was invited to play with a hang drum and harmonium and Oud and I wish I had a quieter mouthpiece. What kind of ligature did you use. His ligature is another 99. The only comment I have is that the volume could have be more even but maybe because it is closed miced. May have been different if it is miced far away.

Can this do Desmond ir Frank Morgan lines or is it just too closed

#3 ·
It comes with the metal ligature I described in the review. You only have to pay the other 99 if you want the enlightened ligature. I think the ligature that comes with it is fine.

I do record close to the mike like 3 feet away and my bell pointed right towards the mic. I find that further away you lose more of the details of the sound to the room.

#4 ·
Sounds pretty damned good. I appreciate the fact that you record 'dry' and a realistic distance from the mic. It makes it easier to hear the sound you're making without reverb or increased bass from a closer proximity.

At 99USD this is very tempting.

#5 ·
$99 is a steal for a decent classical alto mouthpiece, not even considering that it comes with a simple ligature and pseudo-cap. I like experimenting with classical mouthpieces, so this one will be hard to resist.

Is this a revised version of the Water model? I seem to remember that a couple of years ago, it had a bite plate and was made of hard rubber. Is that right?

Btw, I heard Ferling Nos. 14 and 4 in your review sample.

#6 ·
I ordered @Nefertiti from your review page link, I only have alto mouthpiece, so this is not even GAS LOL. Plus I have all these #4s that can now be put to use. I think the built in resistance would counter the small opening. By the way you played you got a good sound out of it and it would be interesting if you played your usual jazz lines on it..

#8 ·
Thanks! I can try recording some jazz lines with it tomorrow. I was thinking today after I posted the review that another clip with my normal playing may be cool just to see what it sounds like. It does make we want to get out my dusty classical books and repertoire from college and start shedding though........

#19 ·
I have ordered a Water mp, and will post my reactions to it in this thread. (As far as I'm concerned, once someone posts a good review of a mouthpiece, his/her thread becomes the official SOTW thread for that piece. :))

Theo Wanne describes the Water as "the ultimate all-around and classical mouthpiece," which is a little unusual. Maybe they are hedging their bets, or maybe they're concerned that the typical TW customer is not a classical player, and therefore needs some other reason to buy. Classical mouthpieces are commonly marketed as classical, period, although I think it's generally understood that something like the S80 C* is fine for "all-around" playing as well. Anyway, I'll offer my opinion about whether the Water really is livelier and/or more colorful than the average classical alto mouthpiece, or this descriptive language is just a precaution by TW.

#11 ·
It is really a good deal. Vandoren and Selmer classical pieces are the competition and band directors should check it out. Very reasonable upgrade for high school students. The shark gill would be a conversation starter :).

My sentences in my last post need work, sorry about that.. One should not drink vino and post. I blame the winery down the road.

Looking forward to the additional clips Mr. Nef.

#12 ·
Is this mouthpiece alto only?

#14 ·
neff-its not dull at all. you can hear the partials trying to come out in the mid and upper range. very impressive this mpc and a bargin price to boot. you should be able to play old school straight ahead 50,s style jazz on this. can it do desmond? art pepper/? i bet it can

#15 ·
And if you're interested in this piece, it's part of WWBW's 10% off accessory sale with code ACC21.

#20 ·
I asked Theo about the tip rail width and he got back to me this morning with this which I just added to the review.

The Thick-Tip-Rail helps add control over your sound, so it does not feel wild and out of control. It also gives the option of moving the reed forward and back to adjust the amount of resistance one prefers. The Thick-Tip-Rail is an important feature for this design, and partly why the mouthpiece can have such a big sound, that is easy to control, and a smaller tip size, all at the same time.

#23 ·
I posted on the review itself, and will repeat here - you sound fantastic on that piece. One of the things I dislike about classical saxophone is the dry, lifeless tone that is so often used, even though the music itself is (usually) quite interesting. I agree with other comments about using this piece for jazz, especially in the old-school, Paul Desmond and Art Pepper vein.

But hearing classical style studies with this sound is quite refreshing. I though the performances were excellent. Other than a little "loose" quality to your vibrato (sounds good in jazz :) ), which you were obviously thinking about. I might pop for one of these just to have the experience, even though the closest I will get to classical music on saxophone is listening to it on YouTube...

#28 · (Edited)
I reckon any well designed and afforable mouthpiece will be welcomed by students and teachers alke. There was a recent post here where a member was espousing the virtues of the Fobes Debut. While some agreed others saw things differently. Hey ROC - I will be really keen on your opinion of the new piece and of course to see how long the postage takes.

The TW Water is currently listed at $180 USD - which, hmm, perhaps is less than affordabe for students. at the previously cited $99 I would have given it a go but not at $180

#35 ·
I ordered one yesterday, then changed my mind and canceled the order, figuring that it'll most likely be too bright for my tastes. If I want something brighter than my Rascher, Caravan LC, or Mana, I still have the Caravan MC, Selmer Concept, and Yamaha 4CM. That said, as of this post WWBW still lists it at $99, which I realize doesn't count toward Steve's affiliate link, but for those trying to save a few bucks...

#38 ·
Hey Guys, I was just informed that if you go to the Theo Wanne site from the links in my review and then add the mouthpiece to your cart there is an instant rebate that brings the price back down to 99.00. Not sure how long this will last but glad to see it still at 99.00. Here's the link WATER Alto Mouthpiece – Theo Wanne
If you check your cart after you add it you will see the price is rebated to $99. I believe this rebate is only for customers in the US.
I was excited right up until the last sentence.

This post has been deleted
#43 · (Edited)
Hi all, Bryan from Theo Wanne here. We apologize for the pricing confusion on our website. The WATER is $99. If you have any issues purchasing it for that price, just email us at info@theowanne.com and we'll take care of you!
Thats interesting Bryan coz' I noted also, the page featuring the water would not scroll or page down during my visits - whereas - during my first visit with the listed $99 price, the page functioned as expected. My real interest in this piece is as a student piece, an alternative to the Yamaha, Fobes and other pieces recommended for students. Personally I think this would be great for students and should serve them for years. I guess some may view the narrow tip opening an issue or somewhat restrictive but I reckon simply moving up reed strengths would counter this. I am hoping to read here what reeds players consider asuit this piece the best.

#45 · (Edited)
This looks like an interesting mpc! I’m curious to play one also, like Neff I’ve been using a mpc that straddles the line between a jazz mpc and classical but it’s a bit too open for heavier duty classical playing. I have another mpc that is more of a strictly classical mpc but it’s a bit more resistant and I find there is a place for something in between that’s a bit more flexible. I use this kind of mpc for pops orchestra kinds of things, where you need some of both; control and flexibility in a smaller facing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.