Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New review posted of the Theo Wanne WATER classical alto saxophone mouthpiece. Hopefully, I won't get dragged over the coals by the classical saxophone elite out there, but I attempted to play almost all classical saxophone segments on this review. This is an absolutely great classical alto saxophone mouthpiece that is dark, warm and light while being incredibly even and focused throughout the range of the saxophone. I loved it! Check out the full review and sound clips at the link below.

Theo Wanne Water Classical Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece Review

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

·
Registered
SDA, SBA. 62ii tenors, Yana, B&S sopranos
130 Posts
$99 - you said. This would actually work for some material I do. The other day, I was invited to play with a hang drum and harmonium and Oud and I wish I had a quieter mouthpiece. What kind of ligature did you use. His ligature is another 99. The only comment I have is that the volume could have be more even but maybe because it is closed miced. May have been different if it is miced far away.

Can this do Desmond ir Frank Morgan lines or is it just too closed

·
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$99 - you said. This would actually work for some material I do. The other day, I was invited to play with a hang drum and harmonium and Oud and I wish I had a quieter mouthpiece. What kind of ligature did you use. His ligature is another 99. The only comment I have is that the volume could have be more even but maybe because it is closed miced. May have been different if it is miced far away.

Can this do Desmond ir Frank Morgan lines or is it just too closed
It comes with the metal ligature I described in the review. You only have to pay the other 99 if you want the enlightened ligature. I think the ligature that comes with it is fine.

I do record close to the mike like 3 feet away and my bell pointed right towards the mic. I find that further away you lose more of the details of the sound to the room.

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
75 Posts
Sounds pretty damned good. I appreciate the fact that you record 'dry' and a realistic distance from the mic. It makes it easier to hear the sound you're making without reverb or increased bass from a closer proximity.

At 99USD this is very tempting.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
$99 is a steal for a decent classical alto mouthpiece, not even considering that it comes with a simple ligature and pseudo-cap. I like experimenting with classical mouthpieces, so this one will be hard to resist.

Is this a revised version of the Water model? I seem to remember that a couple of years ago, it had a bite plate and was made of hard rubber. Is that right?

Btw, I heard Ferling Nos. 14 and 4 in your review sample.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ordered @Nefertiti from your review page link, I only have alto mouthpiece, so this is not even GAS LOL. Plus I have all these #4s that can now be put to use. I think the built in resistance would counter the small opening. By the way you played you got a good sound out of it and it would be interesting if you played your usual jazz lines on it..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,706 Posts
wow thats some of the best legit alto sound i have heard in a long time. would be perfect for concert band work. would love to hear this mpc on a vintage buescher true tone alto . to me no alto sound better for classicl playing

·
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered @Nefertiti from your review page link, I only have alto mouthpiece, so this is not even GAS LOL. Plus I have all these #4s that can now be put to use. I think the built in resistance would counter the small opening. By the way you played you got a good sound out of it and it would be interesting if you played your usual jazz lines on it..
Thanks! I can try recording some jazz lines with it tomorrow. I was thinking today after I posted the review that another clip with my normal playing may be cool just to see what it sounds like. It does make we want to get out my dusty classical books and repertoire from college and start shedding though........

·
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow thats some of the best legit alto sound i have heard in a long time. would be perfect for concert band work. would love to hear this mpc on a vintage buescher true tone alto . to me no alto sound better for classicl playing
Thanks! I really dig it. Even though it has that darker classical vibe it is still vibrant and alive in my opinion. The classical pieces I have tried in the past have been kind of dead for me.......

·
Affordable and Reliable Mouthpieces
728 Posts
One of my customer plays on this new TW Water mouthpiece. He seems to like it for jazz, not just classical music. It seems to be a versatile piece.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is really a good deal. Vandoren and Selmer classical pieces are the competition and band directors should check it out. Very reasonable upgrade for high school students. The shark gill would be a conversation starter :).

My sentences in my last post need work, sorry about that.. One should not drink vino and post. I blame the winery down the road.

Looking forward to the additional clips Mr. Nef.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Is this mouthpiece alto only?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,706 Posts
neff-its not dull at all. you can hear the partials trying to come out in the mid and upper range. very impressive this mpc and a bargin price to boot. you should be able to play old school straight ahead 50,s style jazz on this. can it do desmond? art pepper/? i bet it can

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
And if you're interested in this piece, it's part of WWBW's 10% off accessory sale with code ACC21.

·
13,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
……or you could buy it through the links in my review and support my site…….. just saying……
Indeed! Apparently I didn't read that far. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
One of my customer plays on this new TW Water mouthpiece. He seems to like it for jazz, not just classical music. It seems to be a versatile piece.
I have ordered a Water mp, and will post my reactions to it in this thread. (As far as I'm concerned, once someone posts a good review of a mouthpiece, his/her thread becomes the official SOTW thread for that piece. :))

Theo Wanne describes the Water as "the ultimate all-around and classical mouthpiece," which is a little unusual. Maybe they are hedging their bets, or maybe they're concerned that the typical TW customer is not a classical player, and therefore needs some other reason to buy. Classical mouthpieces are commonly marketed as classical, period, although I think it's generally understood that something like the S80 C* is fine for "all-around" playing as well. Anyway, I'll offer my opinion about whether the Water really is livelier and/or more colorful than the average classical alto mouthpiece, or this descriptive language is just a precaution by TW.

·
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look at that tip rail. You could land a plane on that.
I asked Theo about the tip rail width and he got back to me this morning with this which I just added to the review.

The Thick-Tip-Rail helps add control over your sound, so it does not feel wild and out of control. It also gives the option of moving the reed forward and back to adjust the amount of resistance one prefers. The Thick-Tip-Rail is an important feature for this design, and partly why the mouthpiece can have such a big sound, that is easy to control, and a smaller tip size, all at the same time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts