Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted a new mouthpiece review of the Absolute Color Line 7 alto saxophone mouthpiece from Italy. This is a cool translucent mouthpiece that comes in neon yellow, neon red and neon blue.
I loved playing this mouthpiece because it has a unique tone to it. Although it is brighter, the tone isn't heavy and edgy. It is light, round and beautiful. It really sings! The lightness of it reminded me of a brighter Paul Desmond kind of tone in a way. I really enjoyed playing this mouthpiece and reviewing it! Check it out!

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,206 Posts
Posted a new mouthpiece review of the Absolute Color Line 7 alto saxophone mouthpiece from Italy.
Oof, that name though!

Some of those European naming schemes really don't translate well to the US market. Though Color Line is a distant second in tone deafness to Vandoren's White Masters (for German-system clarinets!).

·
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oof, that name though!

Some of those European naming schemes really don't translate well to the US market. Though Color Line is a distant second in tone deafness to Vandoren's White Masters (for German-system clarinets!).
I never heard of that term before but just looked it up. My guess is they haven't heard of it either.......

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I never heard of that term before but just looked it up. My guess is they haven't heard of it either.......
No, I'm sure they haven't. It's an American thing, and I doubt that they would have chosen that name had they known. My guess is that they had originally named it something like "la serie colori" (i.e., the 'color' series) and then just chose a translation that looked good.

You sound great on it by the way. Those do not sound anything like they look!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
No, I'm sure they haven't. It's an American thing, and I doubt that they would have chosen that name had they known. My guess is that they had originally named it something like "la serie colori" (i.e., the 'color' series) and then just chose a translation that looked good.

You sound great on it by the way. Those do not sound anything like they look!
The Miscegenation Series might have worked better. There could be a series of blues mouthpieces: The Po' Sandy, The Goophered Grape Vine, and The Conjure Woman.

·
Vendor
15,605 Posts
Very nice review, Steve.
I like the look of the piece, and my friends over at Absolute are doing a good job. I have a friend who uses one their baritone mouthpieces and he loves it.
Good people and I wish them continued success.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, you mean "Color line" is an unfavorable name because of people of different skin color?
It took me a while to get this idea. I can assure you that in a native German and probably also Italian speakers mind there is no such association, color just means red-yellow-green-blue-pink...
Wikipedia says that "Color Line" even is the name of a Norwegian shipping company with a logo in rainbow colours.
I am sure that the people at Absolute have no idea about that issue.

·
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Someone pointed out to us that the word Color Line can be somewhat offensive in the USA.
Of course we didn't know, we apologize and confirm that it is just the (unfortunate) normal literal translation.
It doesn't want to refer to anything other than our colorful mouthpiece series.

All the best
This was written by Absolute in the Absolute Mouthpiece thread........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,091 Posts
I guess you could say its because Im white that I didn’t notice it. I didnt think it was an especially catchy title but chalked it up to translation. Had it been called the Colored Line I would have likely noticed. I dont want to be insensitive but I hope the word color, not used in the context of humans, does not become taboo. Otherwise we will have to start making up new words.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I guess you could say its because Im white that I didn’t notice it. I didnt think it was an especially catchy title but chalked it up to translation. Had it been called the Colored Line I would have likely noticed. I dont want to be insensitive but I hope the word color, not used in the context of humans, does not become taboo. Otherwise we will have to start making up new words.
I didn't mean to imply that the name was offensive, just unfortunate or inartful, due to its (unintended) association with the historical "color line" in the US. Comparable perhaps to making a mouthpiece in a brown color and calling it the "brown streak" because you want to highlight its quick articulation or something. Not offensive, but not exactly a marketing coup either.

My original post makes clear that I understood this was likely the result of a poor translation.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yeah I think it’s safe to say no implication of bigotry or prejudice was meant or should be inferred.
Now, if you want to take exception to this, I would wholeheartedly understand:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Now, if you want to take exception to this, I would wholeheartedly understand:
Yeah, I referenced these in my original post as another example of unfortunate translation. I only knew about these because two of my favorite clarinet players (Paquito D'Rivera and Ken Peplowski) use them.

To @Nefertiti: I didn't mean to hijack your thread like this and I'm sorry that it has drifted so far off topic. You sound amazing on this mouthpiece and I hope that people check out your review.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Posted a new mouthpiece review of the Absolute Color Line 7 alto saxophone mouthpiece from Italy. This is a cool translucent mouthpiece that comes in neon yellow, neon red and neon blue.
I loved playing this mouthpiece because it has a unique tone to it. Although it is brighter, the tone isn't heavy and edgy. It is light, round and beautiful. It really sings! The lightness of it reminded me of a brighter Paul Desmond kind of tone in a way. I really enjoyed playing this mouthpiece and reviewing it! Check it out!

Steve, the recordings of these are amazing!! Really cool that they look like Lite Brite pieces too.

·
12,978 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Really nice clip and it sounds like who ever the player is understood that the piece would respond with clarity regardless of varied dynamics and accents. How difficult would it be to get one of these Steve?

·
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really nice clip and it sounds like who ever the player is understood that the piece would respond with clarity regardless of varied dynamics and accents. How difficult would it be to get one of these Steve?
You would just order one off the absolute site. I have no idea about shipping from Italy though but you could ask. Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts