Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this strap is made of a very nice, soft, but rugged leather, the cord used is thin but tough, and the slider, rings/crimps are all of good quality. I have the Med/Long size, it works well for alto and tenor saxes, and makes the alto seem almost weightless. The gel padding is VERY soft, almost like jello, but keeps form. The hook I have on is the large brass one, it will hold up well I assume. The pain I had from my previous Ray Hyman is gone because of this strap, it is honestly worth every cent and is the most comfortable strap I have ever used.

it fits under a collar, by the way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
The first ever saxophone strap was a hook on a strap....it has been ever thus....... until Joe looked at what was really required.
His strap is so comfortable that one is not aware of it's presence.
Watch any saxophonist on stage & he will be fiddling with his strap adjuster....except if he is using Joe's gel strap....no slippage whatsoever.
Until one tries the perfect strap, it's importance cannot be appreciated.
Well done Joe.

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
I originally ordered a strap from Joe strictly for my baritone sax. After using it and once it broken in after a few hours of playing it is very nice and the best strap I own. Initially before the gel had broken in or the leather?, it sort of felt like it was squeezing my trapezius muscles but that went away after 1 rehearsal session. It initially concerned me and Joe actually made me a new strap with less gel and softer leather and a shorter cord for use for tenor or bari (it was his standard bari length--I initially asked for a slightly longer cord since I am 6' 4"). Both straps work well and now I have a great strap for tenor and bari. It is the only strap I have in my sax bag for gigs or rehearsals anymore. I have used the following:

* Guardala leather (which is nice but $75 or so)

* Brancher straps (both types classic and ergonomic I think - very comfortable not crazy about the plasticote brass hook as the shape makes it difficult to fit some strap hooks)

* Rico cheapo tenor straps (not bad but you can tell they are $10-$15 straps)

The Just Joe straps are just so comfortable to me. It is the only strap where I am not moving it around after long sessions as the padding prevents constant pressure on your neck and spine. One of the only straps I know where you arent aware you are holding a sax around your neck.

My most highly reccommended strap to buy and for what it is it is less expensive than the higher end competitors and it is a better strap as well (Cebulla and Guardala would fit this category)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Anyone worried about the "metal on metal" wear of the hook with the strap hole on your horns? Think it will wear down the hole over time?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,230 Posts
I got the plastic hook version........... very nice!

·
6,715 Posts
I got the plastic hook version........... very nice!
Mine also.....never approved of metal to metal contact.
A very good, secure and strong hook made of some fibrous plastic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
THE STRAP...Is worry free.

I doubt if it will wear anything out. Class act - fantastic material and feels just great.

JOE ROCKS.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I agree, excellent strap. Great guy to deal with and even sent me a CD recorded at his lounge club....some excellent playing there too. I've tried a few of the newer straps out there including the Jazz Lab SaxHolder but Joe's strap is the one I keep coming back to...very comfortable, secure and discreet.

Thanks Joe!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I am a new user of this strap and I love it. Joe made me a custom 22" size for no extra charge. I really like it. It is softer and more comfortable than a Cebulla. I own both and prefer the Just Joe's.

·
6,715 Posts
I will never again even think of looking at a new sling.
Joe's is simply perfect...when in use, it does not exist; I am not aware of it's presence.
As a bonus, Joe is such a thoroughly nice chap.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
US customer service in general and Just Joe in particular are light years ahead of my experience of music stores in Australia. When Joe followed me up to see how I was enjoying using his strap I said that one small drawback was in the length because when I play tenor there was still 25mm (1") of adjustment left over but when I played curvy sop it just missed.

I wasn't all that concerned and just asked his advice about modifying it. He insisted quite strongly that he make me a new one and he showed me how to measure for comfort. http://www.saxophonegelstrap.com/Length_.html I measured for both tenor and soprano.

The new strap has arrived and is just fantastic. I'm going to play it under battle conditions tonight with the New Orleans Nite Owls at the Geelong Jazz Club annual ball.

Joe also sent me a spare (brass) hook and some cord and fasteners if I want to try customising further.

For service above and beyond the call of duty I nominate - Just Joe. :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There are only few people out there that take customer service as serious as Joe. His work is superb and i never want to miss his strap on any gig. He is always listening to you when you have ideas on the strap or when you need the slightest change. I really don't understand how he can generate money with it. Also he looks at it from a players point of view, the man really can play better than many others i have heard. Also he organizes jazzconcerts. My personal first price for contributing something to the saxophonist community 2011/12 goes to Joe. Thank you Joe!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Anyone worried about the "metal on metal" wear of the hook with the strap hole on your horns? Think it will wear down the hole over time?
If I am not mistaken, I believe that Casa Valdez addressed this issue way back, before he got fed up
and left sotw over the large brass hook fiasco.

I remember reading, that because the hook was large and made of brass, that there would be minimal wear on a brass strap hook ring... large brass hook+brass strap hook ring=minimal wear

Other hooks, with a smaller circumference and made of steel, often wore grooves into a brass strap hook ring over time, with the steel hook being a stronger metal.

I have several Zephyr tenors that have nickel silver strap hook rings, which are probably a harder material than brass.
I don't foresee any wear on those.

Joe, you're the best... as are your straps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm sorry but is is still just a neck strap. They all put pressure on the sides of the soft tissues of the neck impeding blood flow to the brain. The weight of your horn should be on your shoulder(s) or back.

David

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I'm sorry but is is still just a neck strap. They all put pressure on the sides of the soft tissues of the neck impeding blood flow to the brain. The weight of your horn should be on your shoulder(s) or back.

David
My understanding of blood supply to the brain is that there are no arteries that flow through the neck muscles to the brain; instead there are two major blood supply sources to the brain: the spinal arteries (anterior and posterior) along the front and back of the spinal column and the carotid artery rising through the throat.

I don't know of ANY neck strap that impedes these arteries and thereby blood flow to the brain. I think the greater (and demonstrated) physiological danger of neck straps has to do with their effect on the vertebrae and the nerves that exit through the gaps and travel down the arms. I have suffered from the excruciating pain involved in pressure on nerves in the cervical spine.

Harnesses? I've tried lots of them and I don't like them - I've even customised my own. Joe's neck strap not only relieves ALL pressure from the vertebrae and therefore the nerves, but also cushions very effectively the weight on the very strong muscles at the sides of the neck that hold up the head.

I played 8pm-1am last night - no neck pain and no brain fade from lack of blood.

"Just a neckstrap"? No, the gel strap takes the revolutionary idea contained in the Cebulla strap (which I have used and is my second favourite) and improves the cushioning through gel inserts; it has a better shape and feel for the leather; and has the best slider action of any strap I've tried. They are custom hand made to your exact length specifications and have a solid, personalised customer support.

If you prefer a harness there are very good reasons for using them. But anyone who prefers a neck strap will find the gel strap does the job very well indeed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It looks like a cool strap. I may have to give it a try.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts