Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lupifaro Platinum Tenor Saxophone Review.

Here are my thoughts on the Lupifaro Platinum tenor sax , hand made by Luca Cardinali . after seven intensive play testing days and two gigs, one was a mellow sax and guitar duo and the 2nd was a full on 6 piece band which I'm in a three part section.
I will start by saying I got the Lupifaro tenor to trial from Peter James Scaddan who is the main UK Lupifaro dealer, Lupifaro Saxophones UK. The sax came very well packed in a great box. On opening the case I was struck at the look of this tenor. I was not expecting this as the photos don't do them justice. In the flesh there very unique looking and a stunner to say the least. Boutique Italian fashion here for sure.
I quickly put on my mouthpiece which is a handmade Sakshama Koloski Guardala Marsalis bronze copy and WOW them 1st few notes just sounded huge and beefy.
The sax played perfect from the box, no leaks, no adjustments needed.
The ergonomics are for me the best I've ever had. The keywork is very solid, tight and super slick, all very close and so comfy. Its just flys on fast passages.
On looking at the build quality it is top notch. Everything is solid, neat, well thought out with the player foremost in mind. All joints, soldering, posts etc etc looked great. All his Platinum models are no high F#. Sax comes in a wood frame case that's very light and has great padding , straps and also backpack straps. Space for neck, mp and reeds etc and a huge outer bag.
Now to the neck/crook to us UK guys and girls. Now that's a funky retro looking piece of art. Looks very cool. It has a very comfy neck angle for standing or sitting.
The finger pearls are lovely and smooth with no sharp edges.
Luca Cardinali makes the Platinum range himself making all the tube work in his studio then hand building each horn to there end and it shows. Stunning and unique as said. I am very impressed with looks, build and quality.
Right its time for the most important bit now !!!!!!! SOUND, Intonation.
Its always hard to express what you hear yourself and of course we all have our different likes/dislikes about a nice sound, dark, bright etc etc.
My likes are a big strident powerful sound with some sizzle around the edges. Well I found all this in the Lupifaro for sure plus its got so much projection yet loads of that richer, thicker sound coming through. I found for me its got a great balance of all the elements I want and like and some more. Next which struck me as outstanding was its intonation. No messing on my chops,lips. It just played so easy and free blowing yet enough resistance to push against. Altissimo lovers will be loving this horn as its just like playing in the normal register. I found the horn to play very even from top to bottom and beyond. Theres not even one little fault I can find on this tenor. It just plays, sounds and feels so good. Everyone whos heard me on this horn has made a good comment so I'm very happy. So after the above of course I ended up buying the sax and roll on my next gig.

Lupifaro Saxophenes info etc UK Stockist of Lupifaro Platinum Saxophones 07703722351

Davey Sax Keighley
www.dbjazz.co.uk

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Nice review Dave....you are THE gas man my boy! well done. How do these horns stand against the TJ 'Raw', YTS 82Z and the rest of the saxes you've had over the last few years?

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice review Dave....you are THE gas man my boy! well done. How do these horns stand against the TJ 'Raw', YTS 82Z and the rest of the saxes you've had over the last few years?
Thanks for checking out my little review dude. Well as you know I only buy top horns and in the end all your big brands are fantastic its just a case of what rocks your boat in the end. As you know I've had and still love the 82Z horns. Never had a bad word about them and wont, there monster modern tenors. The Lupifaro is a tad more powerful than the Z which shocked me. You get more power but a tad more depth. Both have great free blowing vibes but a little more push on the lupifaro. As for the TJ Raw which again has shocked a lot of folk is also a big beefy beast. Like I've said before the downside for me on them and also the And Sheppard horn was there weight. Heavy on my function section none stop gigs, wow your arms would hurt. But for sound the Raw was a more raspy sound. Very good blues horn I think. As for my Boganis the Lupifaro has that great sound like them but not as spread but more in a good MKVI vibe. The Lupifaro seems to have the right mix of all I like and want. Plus its a nice light horn. Hope this helps.

3,364 Posts
Yes. A very informative view there BB, and just the things you like to hear especially for their price. I also like the 82Z horns, I tried one at sax dot uk last month, along with the Selmer series 11, Yanagisawa T992, I think, anyway the bronze body. I was looking to compare a new Tenor with the 10M & Zephyr I had. The Selmer was more like the vintage I was used to, but the 82Z killed all of them for ease of playing, it felt like playing an Alto but with a great core, all be it quieter than the Selmer. But I think I will need to check out this Italian job, because of your review. Thanks for posting

3,364 Posts
Thanks for checking out my little review dude. Well as you know I only buy top horns and in the end all your big brands are fantastic its just a case of what rocks your boat in the end. As you know I've had and still love the 82Z horns. Never had a bad word about them and wont, there monster modern tenors. The Lupifaro is a tad more powerful than the Z which shocked me. You get more power but a tad more depth. Both have great free blowing vibes but a little more push on the lupifaro. As for the TJ Raw which again has shocked a lot of folk is also a big beefy beast. Like I've said before the downside for me on them and also the And Sheppard horn was there weight. Heavy on my function section none stop gigs, wow your arms would hurt. But for sound the Raw was a more raspy sound. Very good blues horn I think. As for my Boganis the Lupifaro has that great sound like them but not as spread but more in a good MKVI vibe. The Lupifaro seems to have the right mix of all I like and want. Plus its a nice light horn. Hope this helps.
Plus one for the info

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. A very informative view there BB, and just the things you like to hear especially for their price. I also like the 82Z horns, I tried one at sax dot uk last month, along with the Selmer series 11, Yanagisawa T992, I think, anyway the bronze body. I was looking to compare a new Tenor with the 10M & Zephyr I had. The Selmer was more like the vintage I was used to, but the 82Z killed all of them for ease of playing, it felt like playing an Alto but with a great core, all be it quieter than the Selmer. But I think I will need to check out this Italian job, because of your review. Thanks for posting
All great modern tenors for sure. I find the Yanigasawa tenors rather tame for my loud style but many love theres and deffo can see why there liked. Series II are great workhorse horns. Had 1 tenor a 2 altos many years ago. As you know the Z from that list is my pick but what suits me might not another. You really need to check out the Lupifaro platinum. Will be nice to see what you think dude.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plus one for the info
Cheers. I stayed on the path of saying in my honest findings on the sax. Hope I covered all bases. Its a hard task though trying to describe what I found in sound, response etc but theres them couple of tracks I done and people heard a difference and it was all positive feedback from them in the sound difference.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
All his Platinum models are no high F#.
Why is that, if you know? I'm aware that some individual players have a preference in this regard, but categorically omitting the key from a top-level horn seems a fairly radical step. Viking did that for a while, but now sells only models with the F# included as the default. The common practice among makers seems to be to accept special orders for no high F#.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Why is that, if you know? I'm aware that some individual players have a preference in this regard, but categorically omitting the key from a top-level horn seems a fairly radical step. Viking did that for a while, but now sells only models with the F# included as the default. The common practice among makers seems to be to accept special orders for no high F#.
99.9% of my customers want high F# on alto and on tenor most don't care either way if the horn plays well. Just my expierience.. BTW Congrats!!How much is the Lupifaro ?

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.