Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I am happy to share my review of the famous (meme-worthy, even) product, Key Leaves! Many thanks to Rulon Brown and the Key Leaves company for answering all of my questions and supporting these reviews.

If you want to learn more about Key Leaves, be sure to check out the following links:

Be sure to check out my full video below.
TLDW: This is a useful product for avoiding sticky G#/C# and well-priced at $20. A must-buy and easy recommendation!

Also, if you subscribe to my channel and leave a comment on the YouTube video, you will be entered into a Key Leaves giveaway! Two winners will be selected in a few weeks, so be sure to get your entry in soon!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,269 Posts
Thanks for the informative review.

·
Registered
910 Posts
For me, I love Key Leaves, except...
1. For bari I’d prefer a longer middle band. The nice part of Key Leaves is they are attached to each other. Having to separate them for the longer distance across bari makes them no better than the little foam cylinders you can snag from a tech.
2. Conn Ms - the arch of the piece does not stay well under the C# without falling out. On my 6M it does not prop the key open enough to open the G#, and it falls out at times, so I reverted to above mentioned foam cylinder.
3. For the palm key set, I love the concept, but its too difficult to get them in and just perfrect, and they don’t stay put when in a case, so I just gave up and figured it would be easier to use the BG swab thingy to dry them and repad when needed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have purchased Key Leaves products for all of my saxophones, All Selmer MK VI's, SATB. I agree with motteatoj; I would prefer a longer middle band for the baritone. My biggest concern is using the Key Leaves on the Alto. My sense is that the size of the Key Leaves is absolutely perfect for the tenor. However when I insert the set I purchased for my alto it feels as if the set is pushing the keys up higher than they should go. I woud like to see a Key Leaves set designed specifically for alto; slightly scaled down in size. Likwise, the set I use for my baritone could be a touch larger. It seems as if they were designed for the tenor and the A and B are somewhat compromised. The soprano sax key prop works very well. I had purchaed two, one for the MK VI and the other for the Series III, earlier on when key leaves was selling them as single items. Later Key Leaves updated the soprano key props as a set of two props connected by a chord. These props work extremely well. My only dissapointment was that I contacted Key Leaves to ask if I could purchase two additional prop components to my existing singular units and some cord. Key Leaves was unable to accomodate me unfortunately placing me in the position of having to buy two new sets of the newer "double" version. I use Key Leaves every day and I am happy with them. The Spit Sponges are excellent.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have purchased Key Leaves products for all of my saxophones, All Selmer MK VI's, SATB. I agree with motteatoj; I would prefer a longer middle band for the baritone. My biggest concern is using the Key Leaves on the Alto. My sense is that the size of the Key Leaves is absolutely perfect for the tenor. However when I insert the set I purchased for my alto it feels as if the set is pushing the keys up higher than they should go. I woud like to see a Key Leaves set designed specifically for alto; slightly scaled down in size. Likwise, the set I use for my baritone could be a touch larger. It seems as if they were designed for the tenor and the A and B are somewhat compromised..... The Spit Sponges are excellent.
Agree about the key leaves seeming a bit too large for altos. It does feel like the keys are being forced up a bit higher than I am comfortable (when I still used my key leaves I felt like I had to push up against some resistance to be able to insert the key leaves). That's why I stopped using them... I'm concerned that they will negatively affect the springs.

Love the spit sponges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts