Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jerry Bergonzi started his fall residence at the Acton Jazz Cafe (in Acton MA) last night. With him was Phil Grenadier on trumpet, Austin McMahan on drums and fill-ins on bass and piano whose names I did not catch.
They played a wide range of Jerry's compositions ranging from "the First Lady - for Michelle Obama" (a re-harmonization of Lady Bird), "Go Hen - for Joe Henderson", "Awake" and a new line on giant steps.
In front of a way too small audience, the band was relaxed and focused. Jerry's playing on his beautiful gold plated Jimmy Dorsey model Selmer was his usual astonishing mix of technique, wit and invention. Phil Grenadier matched him solo for solo with his lovely tone and lyrical grace. The rhythm section was driven by Austin McMahan's fabulous driving beat, fills and turn on a dime support of the soloists flights.
They will be playing at the Acton Jazz Cafe every wednesday through the end of the year. It is a unique opportunity to hear one of the strongest tenor players around playing in an intimate relaxed setting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Thanks for the review. Those guys are really great players and I'm glad they are still out there. I always learn something when I go to see Jerry.

I find it really sad that this thread will probably not get any attention compared to the the latest KG waste of time thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
Thanks to Jerry's online lessons, I have, with a little work, adopted his "non-embouchure" technique. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I love his playing and wish I could get up North to chech him out live.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Wow, I wish I was there, I love Jerry's playing, he's really one of today's most unique saxophone giants.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd be curious to see if he brings out the soprano at any of these gigs. He seems to be playing more of it on his 2 latest cds.
I hope to catch one of these shows soon.

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be curious to see if he brings out the soprano at any of these gigs. He seems to be playing more of it on his 2 latest cds.
I hope to catch one of these shows soon.
He didn't bring a soprano to this gig. Just one beautiful tenor...

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
.....He's also one of the nicest, most humble people you will ever meet.

1st class all the way.

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed he is. i can't wait for next wednesday!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
The op said in post #1 it is a gold plated Selmer Jimmy Dorsey.

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jerry is playing at the Acton Jazz Cafe tonite at 9:00pm. Calling all Boston area players to come out and hear/support some amazing music. Best $7.50 you will spend all week (ever?).

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jerry Bergonzi will be at the AJC until december.

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I lied. It was $10. Still the best deal in town. Last night Dave Sandoval on bass with Austin, Phil and of course Jerry. Wonderful Jerry originals and a lovely version of Tad Dameron's Soultrain. Still too few people in the audience. This is world class music in our back yards Boston area folks! See you ALL next Wednesday...

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
AMAZING....

Bergonzi does what like...8 - 9 Years with Brubeck?

Teaches tons of players, teaching and name cats who are all over. I'll hold the names off here.

And he never, plays NYC...let alone THE VANGUARD. BIRDLAND...Or the BLUE NOTE.
Yup- I know it's a hard biz, and all that brew haha. But man, ya's think???????

I don't get it and I never will.

He's done great in Europe and great on him on that...way cool. But there's no point to reason.

Anyhow, , [rolleyes]

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He's been telling great stories of the Brubeck years and his admiration for Paul Desmond....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts