Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
Martin Magna Tenor, King gold plate Voll True Tenor, Buescher Big B alto
167 Posts
I love sound clip # 1

I always thought the maker should change the "W" design. Looks like the Walgreens pharmacy W. Always struck me as funny :sneaky: I guess I'm easily amused sometimes. 😄
Maybe someday I'll be able to afford one. I've looked for used ones but not found any for much less than new. I guess they hold their value.

· Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I play a GAIA 3, 6* and tried the GAIA 4. It's really good but I prefer the 3. I also endorse TW mouthpieces so even though he's on a newer version of the GAIA I'm still playing the previous version.
I'm playing the Gaia 4 right now. It seems very different than the Gaia 3 to me. Like a totally different mouthpiece. Seems darker to me than the Gaia 3......

· Registered
1,372 Posts
I love sound clip # 1

I always thought the maker should change the "W" design. Looks like the Walgreens pharmacy W. Always struck me as funny :sneaky: I guess I'm easily amused sometimes. 😄
Maybe someday I'll be able to afford one. I've looked for used ones but not found any for much less than new. I guess they hold their value.
They don't hold their value at all. They lose about 1/3 of their value (off the retail price) the moment you buy them. Just take a look at the historical prices on eBay in the past few months for the Durga 4 (most, even "new old stock" and "open box" ones, are at 50% or less of the retail price):

If you're on the Facebook groups (mouthpieces, saxophones, etc.) you will get them for even less (especially since you don't have to pay tax and the seller will also not have to pay eBay fees).

They are some of my favorite mouthpieces, though.

· Registered
Martin Magna Tenor, King gold plate Voll True Tenor, Buescher Big B alto
167 Posts
They don't hold their value at all. They lose about 1/3 of their value (off the retail price) the moment you buy them. Just take a look at the historical prices on eBay in the past few months for the Durga 4 (most, even "new old stock" and "open box" ones, are at 50% or less of the retail price):

If you're on the Facebook groups (mouthpieces, saxophones, etc.) you will get them for even less (especially since you don't have to pay tax and the seller will also not have to pay eBay fees).

They are some of my favorite mouthpieces, though.

Thanks for the tips on where to look! I definitely was not up to speed on that. All the used ones I had found were $$$

· Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm playing the Gaia 4 right now. It seems very different than the Gaia 3 to me. Like a totally different mouthpiece. Seems darker to me than the Gaia 3......
I thought so as well, for me the GAIA 3 is a great all-around mouthpiece. I use it for small group jazz to loud bands with 3 horns where I need to play some pop/funk/rock type solos. 6* with Rigotti 3 /12 medium or D'Addario 3M reeds. I thought the GAIA 4 was interesting but I prefer the 3.

· Registered
Conn 26M, Burnin' 6, Legere American Cut 2.25
189 Posts
I guess I just feel like if I had a Durga 2 and liked it, I wouldn't really care if there was a Durga 5 or a Durga 5000 or whatever.
I play a Durga 3 as my everyday mouthpiece and pretty much feel like this. I don't feel a strong need to get the new one when it comes out, nor do I feel like Theo really encourages players to do that. He's always heavy on marketing speak and pushing his new products, but he's never said anything he made before his latest and greatest is garbage or anything.

If he wants to keep tweaking and putting out new ones, it's no skin off my nose.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
I play a Durga 3 as my everyday mouthpiece and pretty much feel like this. I don't feel a strong need to get the new one when it comes out, nor do I feel like Theo really encourages players to do that. He's always heavy on marketing speak and pushing his new products, but he's never said anything he made before his latest and greatest is garbage or anything.

If he wants to keep tweaking and putting out new ones, it's no skin off my nose.
Agreed, when I tried the GAIA 4 and communicated with TW that I was going to stick with my GAIA 3, they were totally cool and supportive of that. Basically saying that many players prefer different versions of their pieces and happy I like their products.

· VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
17,592 Posts
I wish the naysayers would get off Theo‘s back. Players should be happy that Theo and others continue to put out new products.
The newest one may work for them or may not, and no one is forcing them to buy.

Nice to have new options for players looking for that.

If you love what you have and you’re happy, stay with it. If you want to give new products a try, do that.
If I was a player out there today looking for a new mouthpiece, I’d be happy that that there were many new options to choose from.

I love Theos passion and I wish him great success with whatever he puts out there!

13,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Now this I find very interesting. Thanks
Maybe I shouldn't have written so soon as I just started playing it today and am just experimenting with different reeds right now looking for the best one. When I get a perfect match I might have to take back that statement. We will see.........

· Registered
2,856 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't have written so soon as I just started playing it today and am just experimenting with different reeds right now looking for the best one. When I get a perfect match I might have to take back that statement. We will see.........
I your opinion is Theo's Ambika really his darkest piece?

13,852 Posts

· Registered
R&C 2V Sop, YAS61S, YTS61S, YBS62.
821 Posts
I your opinion is Theo's Ambika really his darkest piece?
My 2 cents: the Ambika was the darkest TW piece I tried, so I bought the new, 3rd generation model. I got curious and then bought the 1st generation model and it was both a third the price and much more to my liking. Fatter, warmer and more ‘old school’ sounding.

I believe the entire TW range is on the bright side… and that’s likely intentional. I figure that’s the sound both he and his general customer base might prefer.

IMO if someone is after a dark, warm, ‘classic’ jazz sound (while I acknowledge no 2 people may agree on exactly what that means!) they should not be looking at TW pieces.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
My 2 cents: the Ambika was the darkest TW piece I tried, so I bought the new, 3rd generation model. I got curious and then bought the 1st generation model and it was both a third the price and much more to my liking. Fatter, warmer and more ‘old school’ sounding.

I believe the entire TW range is on the bright side… and that’s likely intentional. I figure that’s the sound both he and his general customer base might prefer.

IMO if someone is after a dark, warm, ‘classic’ jazz sound (while I acknowledge no 2 people may agree on exactly what that means!) they should not be looking at TW pieces.
now this is even more interesting - thanks for the insight, greatly appreciated.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
5,601 Posts

I agree with this, though I’ve not played an Ambika one but calling the Ambika 3 “dark” is kind of funny. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great piece, just not what I’d consider “dark”.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,272 Posts
Nef, you sure sound great on it and thanks for another thorough review. I've always played the hi-baffle types, so with that familiarity I can see the Dukoff Super Power Chamber and Berg/Guardala influences in the chamber. With you playing it, I'm hearing what appears to be perhaps that elusive marriage of Link and baffle that many seek. I could see myself looking at a G5 if anything happened to my DG.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts