Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple days, I had the good fortune to have in my hands some terrific pre-war Conn 6M VIII saxophones. Being an owner of a 6M with the Metro/NY neck I was very curious to swap the necks out to compare the two. First, as stated before on SOTW, the two necks are not compatible due to the differences in the octave mechanisms. The VIII has an underslug design and the mechanism actuates inwards. Opposite of Metro/NY neck being standard/overslung design has the mechanism actuating outward. The necks do fit the receivers on both saxes and it was possible to do a limited test using my throat to control the octave played.

Basic impressions are;
The VIII neck offers a more focused and sweeter sound. I'd say the sound is more capable and flexible for varied situations. Perfect for assembles. Put a brighter high baffle mouthpiece on and a true screamer comes through. When trying this neck on the sax with Metro mechanics, it tended to tone it down a notch. Not in a bad way. Just with a lighter more playful sound.

The Metro/NY neck is darker and more powerful. I can hear why jazzers preferred this neck. It's also more responsive with the notes popping out slightly faster with less resistance at both extremes of the horn's range. When trying the neck on the sax with the VIII mechanics, it very much changed the character of the horn. Much deeper and robust.

Of course this just involves two saxes and necks so YMMV. I felt the results are interesting though. I would not mind adapting the Metro/NY neck to fit the VIII body. Seems like the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can add that putting a "Metro" underslung neck (not New York), on my regular 1947 RTH 6m (not VIII), the sound is even huger than the regular neck. VERY full and loud, without sounding too bright and edgy. It's "tubby" and "fat" sound that can get huge! I'm really glad I bought the metro neck on eBay for $90! (the seller didn't have pictures of the "Metro" and didn't say anything, so I just took a chance, and got really lucky, I guess!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems there's not many of these Metro or NY necks out there. When i bought my horn, I thought it was just a fluke that it was different. It was a good deal so I didn't care. Not until now could I find out what differences it made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts