Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I play with a rover ligature the "Dark" virson had a played it in "standerd" position with the Screw on the back side of the mouthpice... but was wondering about the "reverise" way with the Screw toward you .... what kind of sound does it make more Jazz or classic i will be playing it like that for the next few week but just wanted to see waht other poeple thought
thanks
R13

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,610 Posts
You can put the screw whichever way you like. They are designed for the screw to be for right handed people, but if you are left handed and the ligature works OK the other way round that's a good reason to do it.

Won't make the slightest bit of difference to the sound (unless you really want it to)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
It will make you sound exactly like Acker Bilk, regardless of what style music you are trying to play. Furthermore, performing an unauthorized Orientation Reversal (OR) on your Rovner will destroy your reeds and make you liable for prosecution under the Lefty Ligature Litigation Act (L-cubed-A) of 1998. You have been warned....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...actually,rovner touts this "rocking" function that is "supposed" to change your sound whether you have it tilted forward or back...but im sceptical...i just use mine straight up...
has anyone had success with the rocking function???

to all the rovner haters I use the Eddie Daniels,which is the exception to the rovner family of ligs....its all about the reed plate

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,367 Posts
Um, why don't you try it that way and see for yourself what kind of sound it makes?

As for the 'rocking function' it's pure marketing BS. How are you going to 'rock' a single screw ligature? No matter where or how you position it on your mouthpiece it still ends up the same...

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,367 Posts
Self deleted.... double post....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
.....yep the rocking ...dont work....i just tried it again

·
Forum Contributor 2017
1,217 Posts
It will make you sound exactly like Acker Bilk, regardless of what style music you are trying to play. Furthermore, performing an unauthorized Orientation Reversal (OR) on your Rovner will destroy your reeds and make you liable for prosecution under the Lefty Ligature Litigation Act (L-cubed-A) of 1998. You have been warned....
Actually, there has been an official Don't Ask Don't Tell policy in place here, but it is currently under appeal in federal court, having been brought by the Rotated Rovner Rights Association (R-cubed-A), and legal experts predict that we will soon be able to rotate our Rovners without fear of prosecution or stigma. I'm looking forward to being finally able to rotate my Rovner in public, and with pride!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I think the OP was not talking about switching the screw from R to L, but asking about using the lig in the standard inverted position vs. using it with the screw across the reed. I imagine it will take everything that's wrong with a Rovner and make it worse.
I don't know about the the Eddie Daniels, but I do know you can slightly rock the Dark. There is a little give to the material that allows this. Why this would be advantageous, who knows. It seems the most highly regarded ligs (the $$$ ones) aim to distribute the pressure as evenly as possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
I just got tired and fed up with all these ligature makers trying to always sell the newest and greatest configuration...I've simply started to glue the reed to the mouthpiece, forget the lig, I don't need no stinking lig!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It seems the most highly regarded ligs (the $$$ ones) aim to distribute the pressure as evenly as possible.
yes...thats right....i was reading in another post as well how to improve a new link lig by bending down the corners with pliers...i would guess that does the same thing...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,434 Posts
ok here it goes , moving counterclockwise

tightening screw on the right side= rock, pop
tightening screw on top = jazz (almost all styles)
tightening screw on the left side = ambient, free jazz
tightening screw at the bottom = classic, vaudeville

for lefthanded people invert the ligature and read the list clockwise

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
I've only had one episode where I rocked my ligature. But after throwing the 3rd stone the mouthpiece broke and the ligature fell off.

I would guess that maybe rocking the lig may, dependent upon location (we're talking too far up the mpc) and assuming the table is flat (or curved would make rocking sense) increase or decrease the reed to mpc tip thus affecting things.

Milandro, your jazz description is off. 1 o'clock position is for almost all styles of jazz - directly on top at 12 o'clock makes it into classical :p

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,610 Posts
Milandro, your jazz description is off. 1 o'clock position is for almost all styles of jazz - directly on top at 12 o'clock makes it into classical :p
And for rock?

I think we all know the answer:

1 o'clock 2 o'clock 3 o'clock ROCK!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,434 Posts
sure! I deserve the Jailhouse!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts