Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returning to play tenor sax after a long layoff. I was almost intermediate level when I stopped playing many years ago. I use to play a King Super20 with I believe was a Otto Link 6* STM. Can't say if that was the best mouthpiece choice for me or not, it worked. This will be for Jazz, Swing to Hard Bop. Looking at buying another vintage horn like a Buescher Aristo or Martin Comm. Hoping to choose a complimentary mouthpiece, taking into consideration the music I want to play, the type of horn, that I'm pretty much starting out as a beginner again but hopefully will progress faster with some muscle memory. Any recommendations appreciated. Also my budget is around $200-$300. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hi PokpieHat. I find most well equipped music stores will be happy to let you take your horn into a practice room and try out mouthpieces to your heart's content. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of well informed opinions on what goes best with a vintage horn. I'd guess something designed along the lines of the vintage mouthpieces would be the place to start. Good luck. Welcome back to sax-land.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey PorkpieHat,

You will likely get endless advice on your inquiry on this thread. Once you find a horn, feel free to contact us for a mouthpiece. We have loads of new and vintage mouthpieces available. We also own the Morgan Mouthpiece Company which makes eleven (soon to be more) traditional style mouthpiece models for tenor. These work great on both vintage and modern horns. If you have not found horn yet, check out www.junkdude.com and let us know if you see anything you are interested in. We currently have Buescher Aristocrats and Martin Committees along with others. Have fun with your search and don't get overwhelmed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I'm living in a small town at the moment far from a music store so I can't test multiple mouthpieces at once. I'm assuming back in the day the Otto Link 6* worked well for me with the Super20 I had. So perhaps the same would be a good choice. It's in the price range I'm looking at too. Thing is I didn't really know much about mouthpieces and the design of them at the time. Now I know a little more I'm curious as to what my work best. In particular I've been thinking about the Slant Sig 2 Tenor Mouthpiece, albeit more expensive. Worth noting that I plan on using a Legere plastic reed which I was a fan of the last time I played a sax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts