Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has come up before, but does anybody have some old-style Conn pivot screws I could buy, the blunt-tipped 4-40 with the split threads for grub screws? I know Kraus makes them, but I don't anticipate ever getting a Kraus account, and they now have a $100 minimum purchase, which puts them completely out of reach for me. Ferree's doesn't carry them, Music Medic doesn't carry them, I tried Steve Goodson, but he's currently unavailable and can't help. Help!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Have you actually asked Curt ar Musicmedic? AFAIK he will sometimes sell unlisted stuff if they use it in their workshop.

(I hate those pivots, especially the grub screws. Loctite superseded the system.)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I'm sure this has come up before, but does anybody have some old-style Conn pivot screws I could buy, the blunt-tipped 4-40 with the split threads for grub screws? I know Kraus makes them, but I don't anticipate ever getting a Kraus account, and they now have a $100 minimum purchase, which puts them completely out of reach for me. Ferree's doesn't carry them, Music Medic doesn't carry them, I tried Steve Goodson, but he's currently unavailable and can't help. Help!
Are you sure they're 4-40? It seems that I remember them being 4-48 thus a bigger hassle to find some all-thread or donor screws.

As simso said, I would think about getting some threaded rod of the right size (better check with a quality thread gauge first) and making them, if you only need one or two. You can use an electric drill as a sort of simulated lathe. I have done that many times, though I've never made a duplicate of the Conn pivot screw.

Personally I think the King system with the nuts is the best, but I think I considered converting my Conn(s) to that and decided there wasn't enough room for the nuts. (Plus you would have to make or have made up a whole set of new longer pivot screws.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,982 Posts
Doesn't Ferree's sell those ? You don't need a Tech account to order from Ferrees....

(BTW the title you chose for this thread cracked me up....)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my gosh, Saxoclese, you da man! I really only need two, as I got a lot more careful after those first two, but have a couple/three extra would make me sleep better! *All* the grub screws survived!

I don't know the last time this horn was *worked* on, but the owner told me she last played it in 1961(!).

Let me know how much and how to pay!

Geoff

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JayePD said:

Doesn't Ferree's sell those ? You don't need a Tech account to order from Ferrees....

(BTW the title you chose for this thread cracked me up....)

As far as I can tell, Ferree's only sells the tiny little grub screws, not the pivot screws. I was even surfing usmicroscrew.com to see how hard (and expensive) it would be to get a bunch custom made. Glad I could bring a smile to your face!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you actually asked Curt ar Musicmedic? AFAIK he will sometimes sell unlisted stuff if they use it in their workshop.

(I hate those pivots, especially the grub screws. Loctite superseded the system.)
I haven't, because I didn't know. Good info, Gordon, thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Hi Fellas what is the tap/thread size for these Conn pivots? 4-40 or 4-48......I had a note book with all the sizes for USA brands (vintage) but it got lost in a house move. BTW I use modern 2mm socket screws to replace the grub screws.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Hi Fellas what is the tap/thread size for these Conn pivots? 4-40 or 4-48......I had a note book with all the sizes for USA brands (vintage) but it got lost in a house move. BTW I use modern 2mm socket screws to replace the grub screws.
This cut and paste from the Kraus website shows that the straight tip and pointed tip screws had different threads. I can measure them to be certain.

354A

Old Conn Sax Pivot Screw

For Conn 10M, 6M, old historic Conn Saxes.
Threaded in two sections, curved tip. Uses set screw below. 4-48 thread

354E

Old Conn Sax Pivot Screw (Straight Tip)

Very Old Conn Saxophones that had
straight tip pivot. 4-40 thread

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, all, I think I have my immediate needs under control, but for future reference, if I wanted to try my hand at turning my own, what stock would I start with? Some size drill rod from Music Medic or somewhere?

Thanks

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Drill rod is fine.
"Silver steel" is a another good metal option. Google it for a local source.
Possibly fewer diameter choices but not such an issue if you are turning it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Only thing with starting from rod is that you have to make the external threads. Obviously people do this every day, either with a die or a thread cutting lathe, and if you were going to make 10,000 of them that's what you'd use. But for a few at a time I would be inclined to start with threaded rod, or even start with a screw much longer than what you're going to end up with. It just saves the time of that external threading operation which is just another thing to maintain QC on.

I wish someone with a small Swiss machine would run off a run of these things. You'd never sell many at a time but a couple thousand would probably supply the whole band repair industry for many years, and you could basically charge whatever you wanted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts