Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of disappointed that my newly acquired Buffet SDA doesn't have an articulated G# adjusting screw. I thought this was supposed to be a high end horn. I seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult to add a screw by drilling and taping the bar. Has anyone ever done this, or heard of it being done?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
You need a big round boss on the bar to be able to drill it. If your bar isn't shaped that way its probably not going to happen. Is the bar adjustable like a Selmer? If so, its also removable and perhaps one from another horn can be made to work. At this point, the assumption is it has cork/felt on the contact points. Really, many saxes have not had adjusters on these points and they have been fine.

While I'm thinking about it, there was discussion recently of using a steel set screw to replace a broken or lost adjuster. Later, I thought of the answer - use a brass screw of the correct threads. Cut the head off and cut a screwdriver slot in it. Once you have it trimmed to the right length, you can flatten the end and glue the cork on.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A lot of well made vintage horns don't have adjustment screws. Different thickness corks and felts are used instead. It's one of the things that those of us who play vintage horns give up to play them.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Adjusting screws were added to the S1. My soprano is virtually identical to the SDA but for a few of them.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
True that many saxes did not have it, but it is far preferable to have it because it turns a perhaps 5 minute adjustment job into a 20 second one.

Yes, it needs some length of thread to be stable, so that probably means adding metal to the linkage bar. Any half decent tech could do it, but is it worth the time/expense?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I didn't expect that it was an original idea. To my eye, there seems to be enough meat on the bar to drill it and there is very little cork on that end, so I think my SDA is a good candidate for this mod. I'll mention it to my tech and see what he might charge to do it then decide.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I'd say you need at least 5 or 6 turns of thread engaging. Otherwise it could be wobbly like modern-style Buffet clarinet pivot not screwed completely home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts