Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Super Dex RR tenor piece. (Predecessor to the "Super D")

I've been on alto for the past couple of years and had been using the college's Yamaha 62 and 4c mouthpiece for the past 4 months until I got my new Ref 36 tenor last month.

My chops are not up to par on tenor and obviously the mouthpiece is much different from what I was using.

But none the less- here are my initial thoughts:

First observation is that the rails and tip are super thin. The thinnest I've ever played or seen. I didn't know to look for this until I noticed how sensitive the mp was to reed placement. The tip rail is super thin!. So I've been using orange box 2.5s and the sound is very bright and and I'm tonguing way to hard on this thing. I used one reed all day and then is just died. I mean no sound. Not like dead but you could still play it. So that was a new sensation. I've gotten it to work amazingly well a couple of times so far. The sound was so full and resonant and was the most fun I'd had playing on it. I'll just have to keep experimenting with reeds and finding something that balances out the the thin rails. I'm happy with the trade I made for it over all. Just something that will have to be worked on.

Anyone one else have one of these?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics- spoke with Joel and he said they are the same as the Super Ds - they just changed the name. I read a couple of threads and it seems there is a lot of history to the company. I’d be interested to know more about this piece. It has a 3 digit serial number on one side and 7 N on the other.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,588 Posts
I just got the Super Dex RR tenor piece. (Predecessor to the "Super D")

I've been on alto for the past couple of years and had been using the college's Yamaha 62 and 4c mouthpiece for the past 4 months until I got my new Ref 36 tenor last month.

The sound was so full and resonant and was the most fun I'd had playing on it.
So glad to hear that you have found something that works for you. Happiness is a great tenor setup.

Tenor - It’s all that matters!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else playing these? I've seen at least one member with a Super Dex.

It's much brighter from A to F# than I would have expected.

Any play tests vs a real double ring? -)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts