Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a tenor that is satin silver plate with bright silver engraving and keys, but before I recieved the horn it was steel-wooled to try and polish it, so now it's all scratched up. I'm more concerned with restoring the bright silver plate as the satin silver can be lightly sandblasted to restore it.

Tips?
Thanks,
-Scott

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you can remove the scratches, you could go back over it with something like an electro-plating unit (Caswell Plating has a good one at low cost), it will only do the shiny plating. It's best for smaller patches though, so it would depend on the extent to which your horn would need refinishing.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If you want the scratches removed, it will need buffing. (Hope they are not deep!)

Then if you want it silver plated, get it done professionally. It would take days of tedium to do a similar job with reasonable thickness of the plating, with a small kit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
808 Posts
For the satin part do not sandblast it as that will strip the plating. Instead use fine glass bead media.

For the burnished parts that should be shiny, re-burnish with a proper burnishing tool. This will smooth out much of the scratching without removing any metal. It is a tedious process though. Then follow that up with a light buff using an extra fine red jewelers rouge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts