Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! As I mentioned in my post about finding the Dukoff "Stubby" tenor piece in a box of old tenor pieces, I've got a few other mouthpieces that I can't see myself playing and I'm looking for the best way to turn them into a little cash. I have a link tonemaster, a four star link, a metal berg larsen, a Brilhart ebonite, and a dukoff that looks like it's made out of that "silverite" stuff. My issue is twofold: I have no idea of the value of these pieces, numbers you find on the internet are all over the place, and, not wanting to be ripped off, I really don't want to deal with Ebay if I can help it, as I am aquainted with several people who have had bad experiences selling various items. I guess my question is is there a resource to research the value of these pieces reliably, and also any place I might look at to help me unload them (consignment or outright purchase). Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
You cannot get "ripped off" if you sell them for what you have invested in them. Anything over that is profit.

If you start too low, you'll have some happy buyers - maybe they'll even play them instead of flip them. If you start too high, they won't sell, you'll get offers, then settle on "current value".

Where to research? There are plenty of previous sales right here and at fleabay. See what models in a given condition actually sell for.

Where to sell them? Here, of course.

Enjoy the spare cash and don't get caught up on making a killing. :bluewink:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
ebay per se does not rip you off.

An auction is the best way to get an honest market value. But you mdo need to describe very accurately with detailed pics and disclose every single flaw. If you do that then ebay can still work very well.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You cannot get "ripped off" if you sell them for what you have invested in them. Anything over that is profit.

If you start too low, you'll have some happy buyers - maybe they'll even play them instead of flip them. If you start too high, they won't sell, you'll get offers, then settle on "current value".

Where to research? There are plenty of previous sales right here and at fleabay. See what models in a given condition actually sell for.

Where to sell them? Here, of course.

Enjoy the spare cash and don't get caught up on making a killing. :bluewink:
I don't have anything invested in them. These mouthpieces belonged to a deceased friend of mine, I didn't purchase them.....not looking to make a killing at all, just would like to get something close to a fair deal......

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've had great experiences working with Dave Hoskins of Junkdude Music, in Columbus OH.

https://www.junkdude.com

edit: Dave beat me to it while I was typing! All good. :)

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hello all! As I mentioned in my post about finding the Dukoff "Stubby" tenor piece in a box of old tenor pieces, I've got a few other mouthpieces that I can't see myself playing and I'm looking for the best way to turn them into a little cash. I have a link tonemaster, a four star link, a metal berg larsen, a Brilhart ebonite, and a dukoff that looks like it's made out of that "silverite" stuff. My issue is twofold: I have no idea of the value of these pieces, numbers you find on the internet are all over the place, and, not wanting to be ripped off, I really don't want to deal with Ebay if I can help it, as I am aquainted with several people who have had bad experiences selling various items. I guess my question is is there a resource to research the value of these pieces reliably, and also any place I might look at to help me unload them (consignment or outright purchase). Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
I'd be interested in the Dukoff. My number is 845.803.4527.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,457 Posts
Ebay can work great as Pete said if you are honest and forget about 'selling' somebody something with inflated hyperbole/outright fraud. People get into trouble when their performance is below par and buyers are surprised when they receive the item. There should be no surprises. With good pictures and an honest description there should be no room for misunderstanding. And, BTW, the 'resource for researching value' IS ebay - search for completed items like yours.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'd send user kritavi a pm if you're interested in having someone sell for you. i've worked with him before and i think he is an honest seller with a whole lot of experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ebay per se does not rip you off.

An auction is the best way to get an honest market value. But you mdo need to describe very accurately with detailed pics and disclose every single flaw. If you do that then ebay can still work very well.
Amen to that.
I've been an eBay seller for many years, and honesty is by far the best policy. You can get a feel for what an item can bring by searching for "sold" auctions of that item.
If you want a certain minimum amount either sell it as "buy it now" or as an auction with a starting bid in that amount.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A few more eBay tips....
- Start auctions on Sundays around 10-10:30pm EST (assuming you are in the US), this gives folks all weekend to jump in and gives all coasts a reasonable time to not miss the auction, which means missed bids.
- Start the auction low, the price will rise.
- It is expensive to use the reserve auction feature, I tend not to use it.
- Take very clear pictures as close as you can get without blurriness, and crop them in to what is important.
- Describe any flaws as much as possible, if you hide something, they will find it.
- eBay protects you now from international shipping issues and fraudulent 'I didn't get it' with their global shipping program. You ship to Kentucky, then eBay assumes all other responsibilities, this is awesome.
- I don't use a lot of fluff or romance language like 'player', 'killer', etc. If an item is in amazing shape, I will state that, otherwise I let the pictures tell the story.

Alternatively, you can post them in the marketplace here and avoid paying eBay seller fees and avoid the buyer having to pay tax, which may make the buyer ok with paying a bit more. Put a fair price, but one you are happy with, if unsure, go a little higher. Interested folks will make offers. You can always drop the price over time.
The nice thing about SOTW selling is the folks here generally know what they are looking at and are part of the community, so you can sell/buy with a bit more confidence (in general, always exceptions, sadly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts