Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of Resonators do you have in your horn/horns....?

Plastic or Metal (or just rivets) and why your choice of either....

Domed or flat and why ??

Me ...Baritone Conn 1920- flat metal as Conn often are and to increase projection.Roo's for quieter action.

47' The Martin Tenor-Flat Metal to be original.

35-39'? La Fleur Alto Domed Metal with Rivets-my first overhaul had no idea what to use....

Thought of this poll because of a aversion to plastic resonators ,well plastic in general...and it is everywhere.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Not really sure it matters all the much regarding the shape -- more about the surface area if you're looking for punch.

Likely doesn't matter at all regarding the material. For sure Buescher snaps won't get you anything domed metal doesn't answer except for a lot of work building a "Frankenhorn".

I don't blame you at all for wanting to replace the pillow pads that were probably on that thing originally. Were it me, I'd probably go for domed -- unless the flats were cheaper and easier to install. Certainly wouldn't do just rivets.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had my conn transitional tenor padded with no resonators. Sounds great. Unfortunately before it was repadded it was leaky, so I can't really offer a comparison to how it sounded with resonators.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
I was getting my tenor overhauled, and asked my tech. He said the material didn't really matter, that size was much more important. He recommended using plastic, as they came in more sizes, so he could more closely match the size of the resonator to the pad/hole.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I own six horns and only two have plastic brown dome resos and i say they have a different color to it's tone so i guess i don't prefer one over the other.
my other four horns have metal domed resos and just sound closer to the sound i hear and want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Metal or plastic is quite a discussion. Ralph Morgan had a great interview on morgan mouthpieces blog and Ralph was the main Selmer woodwind designer, so he speaks the history of the change to plastic around 1960 or so. They tested many materials. The material was not a big factor in acoustics but the size and shape was. They also noted the metal had the rust possibility. Here’s the link:
I have OEM brown dome plastic resonators in my MK VI tenor and metal mild domed in my soprano. The tenor is a slightly darker sound, but will shift with a mouthpiece designed to be bright. The metal on the soprano seem to be a little more versatile on a soft mellow VS rowdy blues sound. The other interesting fact is the plastic is lighter and allows slightly quicker key action. The springs are designed to lift the lighter plastic. Both are hard surfaces that the sound wave bounces off while traveling through the body of the horn. The higher dome will cause a slightly more forward focused sound. Also with larger diameter resonators, less pad is exposed and there’s less absorption of the sound wave. If you have no resonators, the sound is soft and mild since it’s absorbed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,025 Posts
Metal or plastic is quite a discussion. Ralph Morgan had a great interview on morgan mouthpieces blog and Ralph was the main Selmer woodwind designer, so he speaks the history of the change to plastic around 1960 or so. They tested many materials. The material was not a big factor in acoustics but the size and shape was. They also noted the metal had the rust possibility. Here’s the link:
I have OEM brown dome plastic resonators in my MK VI tenor and metal mild domed in my soprano. The tenor is a slightly darker sound, but will shift with a mouthpiece designed to be bright. The metal on the soprano seem to be a little more versatile on a soft mellow VS rowdy blues sound. The other interesting fact is the plastic is lighter and allows slightly quicker key action. The springs are designed to lift the lighter plastic. Both are hard surfaces that the sound wave bounces off while traveling through the body of the horn. The higher dome will cause a slightly more forward focused sound. Also with larger diameter resonators, less pad is exposed and there’s less absorption of the sound wave. If you have no resonators, the sound is soft and mild since it’s absorbed.
Are you saying your tenor has a darker sound than your soprano?🤔

1 - 8 of 8 Posts