Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in an ad for the Selmer "Saint Louis" clarinet:

"...leather pads and resonator pads on the 3 low notes"

Anybody ever do this as a retrofit? Does it make a difference?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
shmuelyosef said:
Saw this in an ad for the Selmer "Saint Louis" clarinet:

"...leather pads and resonator pads on the 3 low notes"

Anybody ever do this as a retrofit? Does it make a difference?
Uhm. The typical pad for these holes is 17 mm in diameter. From what size does one use resos on saxes?

I have heard of Eaton's doing resonators: http://www.saxmaniax.com/galleryclar/EatonInt.htm
For some reason, clarinet resonators didn't make it mainstream. :?

·
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The resonator size depends more on the tonehole size than the pad size...For palm keys on altos and tenors (typically around 19mm) I will use an 8mm reso if it fits, otherwise just use a 4-5 mm rivet

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
in the older days they used to put cork pads in the larger cups, cut out some cork and they were able to put resos in them. I've never tried it ... that's a big cork pad (and no ones been daring enough to ask for it).

Eaton does it, but it think it is more due to the pad material they use soaking up too much sound thus they needed something to reflect the tone (why a mirror type reso ?? who knows). Those eaton pads are sponge rubber .... i kept them from the Eatons i've overhauled - i figured if i collect enough of them i'l throw them in the shocks of my mountain bike to give it nice cushy ride =-)

i've been dabbling with the idea of poking some leather pads and installing Ferree pointy resos on them as a test ... but just haven't had the inclination to do it yet. prob would put them on my CT (it's been 2 yrs since a repad ....)

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
I've tried a couple of Selmer Saint Louis clarinets and I don't know if those resos make much of a difference (didn't feel like they do). My clarinet is Eaton and it has the sponge pads without the resos and there is absolutely no problem of "soaking up too much sound" or anything like that. I agree that these pads aren't great but that is just because they are too soft so feels a little weird. They do seal fine and are very quiet (nothing that I've seen is quieter). I'v been meaning to change because they are too soft and quiet but I just never get to it....

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
My last clarinet had cork pads on the upper joint. I really prefer that. Reminds me, I need to do that to my current horn.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
there is a definite tonal quality difference before and after on the Eatons - i've been having Internationals and Elites sent to me - most of the time it's just leather across the board. a few ppl wanting cork uppers.

most ppl simply do not like the feel of the sponge rubber. but it certainly makes balancing the keywork easier - it doesn't have to be exact if you don't want too becz they just squish more.

seems as though they are getting skimpier on all the resos - the latest ones having less resos than the earlier ones. maybe they are cutting their costs and going reso-less - or maybe its a US thing ??

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Buffet began fitting resonators on their Elite (on the large pads) back in the '80s and Leblanc have used them on the Opus since it was first launched.

Yamaha CSG clarinets have white plastic rivets in all their skin pads, even the small ones.

Old B&H and Louis oboes and cors had screw in metal resonators on their large pads - I think early Howarths did too, though I haven't got one in bits to find out.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
Hornimprovement, how do you connect these resos to the pads (and what pads)? I wouldn't mind doing something similar to my instrument at least to experiment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I machine the grenadilla into an 8mm dowel, part the grenadilla dowel to the thickness of the pad, punch an 8mm hole in a Valentino synthetic pad, and install the wood center in the hole in the pad. put some super glue on the back to keep the resonator from shifting. My good friend and ex-employee Leroy Hadding (now at Orpheus) and I developed this technique.

·
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to reawaken this thread...
I have here for overhaul a modern Yamaha bass clarinet, and the pads have moderately aggressive resonators. The 18mm pads have 8mm resos, the 22 and 26mm pads have 14mm resonators. Some of both of these are 1-1.5mm Fromm the tone hole contact ring.

I'm curious whether these are stock? This is a relatively new model...YCL221-II. I was going to try the MusicMedic Roopads for bass and they are all plain and unpunched. As they are generally very tight, flat and hard (the Roopads), I don't really see a problem, as basses have played fine with plain pads forever, but am curious whether this is the way Yamaha supplies them.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I imagine that larger non-resonatored pads should really have the leather glued to the felt, without mucking up the consistency of the felt. This may be one factor considered by the pad maker and the person paying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts