Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Buescher C-mel that I'm eventually going to get repadded. It currently has simple rivets on the pads, and I really like the sound, but I've heard a lot of people recommend resonators for C-mels. Should I stick with the rivets? If not, what type of resonator should I try?

FYI, my Buescher is a 1920 model, so it probably doesn't have the snap-on pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,789 Posts
A lot of the original C melodies didn’t start their lives with resonators , especially if these were very old C melodies.

I don’t think your horn has snap on pads and it would considerably complicate things it it would because often times they studs are damaged or some have been replaced

You really can have this horn repadded anyway you wish since it wouldn’t be “ original” those white pads are long gone.

I have had two C melodies done one Buescher stencil and one Conn. Both were repadded with brown pads and metal resonators.

This is what the original pads would have looked like

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I agree with milandro . . . at least about not worrying about originality when doing a re-pad. I don't know how an original Buescher C-Melody of your vintage was padded in those days.

Maybe with other sizes of Bueschers or other good vintage saxophones, originality may be prized by the occasional collector, but C-Mels are odd ducks in the saxophone world and even in the best of condition they don't bring a lot of attention, other than here on SOTW where most of us drool over neat old horns.

So, my advice (and what I did with MY Buescher C-Mel) would be to have it overhauled to satisfy you and not some conception of how it was once made. Repad it so it sings - and for me, that would include some form of resonator (reflectors, whatever). I believe the presence of resonators makes a difference - not so much how they are designed, just that they are installed. DAVE

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My Buescher had original white pads, and spuds. It was repadded retaining the spuds, and with resonators, so they must make them. I know when I took it in, the check in person asked if I wanted to keep the spuds or remove them, and the tech came running out shouting "YES YES he's keeping them, we aren't removing those, that would be heresy!". Who am I to tilt the universe?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The original white pads on my Buescher are long gone. It was given a rush repad at some point, my best estimate being anywhere from fifteen to twenty years ago, and its current pads are brown with rivets; it was the rivets that threw me off at first, as I thought they were snaps. The pads aren't very good after all that time, but they still work well enough for me to judge what the horn would sound like with better pads. When I get it repadded, though, I definitely want white pads. I LOVE the look of the white against the silver, vintage look or not.

As far as resonators go, I've narrowed it down to either sticking with the rivets or going with a flat metal resonator. I love my horn's dark, almost sad sound, and I don't want to add anything that might compromise that, but it definitely has some projection issues that I'd like to resolve.

·
3,920 Posts
I LOVE the look of the white against the silver, vintage look or not.

As far as resonators go, I've narrowed it down to either sticking with the rivets or going with a flat metal resonator. I love my horn's dark, almost sad sound, and I don't want to add anything that might compromise that, but it definitely has some projection issues that I'd like to resolve.
Nice C to have.
I just received a set of tan/rivets for my ‘22 Conn C. Just keeping it simple.
I didn’t really look for white. What’s available in white other than Roo pads?
Flat metal resonators will brighten it up some. Honestly it’s a not a loud horn and I love a dark sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
When I overhauled my Martin C melody sax, I used pads with no resonators for an "authentic" look and sound. When I overhauled my Conn C melody saxes, I used Conn Reso-pads with small flat resonators for the same reason. When I got my Selmer Modele 22 C melody, it had already been expertly overhauled, using no resonators, which is probably also "authentic."
All of these saxes had that sweet, old fashioned sound. The Selmer projects best, even with no resonators.
If the spuds for snaps are still present on your Buescher, I would try to find a repairman who would replace the snaps, but that may be difficult or impossible. Remember, the Buescher snaps were the first resonators. Although the snaps are small, players in the 1920s found that they added a little brightness to the sound. Conn produced the old reso-pads to compete with Buescher. You may notice that the small resonators on Conn reso-pads are almost exactly the same diameter as Buescher snaps.
You might want to try using pads with resonators that are smaller than usual. That would make the sound "authentic" and give you a little more projection. The size of the resonators is more important than the material, so common plastic resos are perfectly good, although metal resos look almost the same as Buescher snaps.
The mouthpiece you use will have more effect on the sound than the resonators. I really like the Morgan C melody mouthpiece on all C melody saxes I have played. Intonation is good, and there's plenty of projection.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been thinking about getting a Morgan mouthpiece. I'm currently using the old Buescher C-mel piece that came with the horn (I suspect it might have been modified slightly, as it doesn't sound stuffy at all), but I've read so many great reviews of the Morgans that I'm probably going to head that route once I have a little extra money to burn.

After giving it some thought, I'm probably going to go with smaller resos. I really like how it sounds now (allowing for occasional leak problems), and since I doubt I'm going to be doing any professional playing on this particular horn there probably isn't any real need for anything larger. It's something to consider for my next C-mel, though; I definitely want to get another one at some point.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a Morgan mouthpiece. I'm currently using the old Buescher C-mel piece that came with the horn (I suspect it might have been modified slightly, as it doesn't sound stuffy at all), but I've read so many great reviews of the Morgans that I'm probably going to head that route once I have a little extra money to burn.

After giving it some thought, I'm probably going to go with smaller resos. I really like how it sounds now (allowing for occasional leak problems), and since I doubt I'm going to be doing any professional playing on this particular horn there probably isn't any real need for anything larger. It's something to consider for my next C-mel, though; I definitely want to get another one at some point.
I'm also using a Buescher C-mel mouthpiece on my Evette-Schaeffer C-mel. I must use quite hard reeds (#5 blue box Vandoren) but it is not stuffy at all -and I've no reason to think it has been modified.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using Rico Royal 2.5 bass clarinet reeds on mine. I suspected it had been modified because I'd heard that all C-mel pieces sounded stuffy, but now I'm starting to wonder if I got bad information.

·
3,920 Posts

·
38,789 Posts
that study has been the standard reference work since it came out, the people whom produced it are even members here.
In short, there is a proven difference between not having resonators and having resonators but there isn’t a measurable difference (a definite one) between ANY tipe of resonators (being plastic or metal).

·
38,789 Posts
and many other makers these days...

·
3,920 Posts
The type of pad and choice of resonator is a personal choice. The look I prefer on silver plated saxes is the white roo pads with silver seamless domed resonators available from Music Medic.

View attachment 236076
Wow! That’s a class look ! So what happens when you put white shoe polish on Tan Pads ?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If this look became standard, then tan pads with tan plastic resonators would become the class look. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts