Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if there is already a thread on this. I checked and didn't find one.

I just got a great playing VI neck that is very loose on my horn. I also have a series III neck that is an absolutely perfect fit on my horn. There is no repair shop here, and since I'll be travelling to the USA I'd like to bring both necks back and see if they can resize the VI neck to the dimensions of the III neck.

Does anyone know if having the tech resize the neck without the horn present is practical? Unfortunately I can't bring my horn with me to the USA this time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
If they can resize your MkVI tenon so it's exactly the same as the SIII one by being meticulous with their measurements by using vernier calipers and taking measurements from several points along the length of the tenon, then that shouldn't be a problem to get them both the same.

But in all honesty you're always best having the tenon fitted to the socket of the instrument to achieve the best fit wherever possible.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree with Chris.

Perhaps invest in some fine lapping compound in case the fit turns out to be a little too tight.

But certainly not an ideal thing to do.

I think I'd be inclined to turn a socket to fit the series lll neck, and then fit the M6 neck to that. possibly more reliable than relying on measurements.

·
17,204 Posts
But it is also a bad idea to unnecessarily take a sax from Madagasca to USA. For those in USA that may not be so obvious.

·
17,204 Posts
Take a holiday in New Zealand and I'll do it for you, without the sax. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Watch out Gordon, I might just show up at your shop one of these days. Actually you might have a good idea about finding a socket that fits the III neck and then sizing the other neck to fit that. My friend has a VI which is a good fit for the III neck. So I'll just have to convince him to let me take it to the shop for a fitting...

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'd rate the idea similar to someone else buying shoes for me.

But Gordon made a very good point too.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I recently had Borgani make a new tenon socket for my Jubilee.

It was impractical, and in my opinion, too risky to send the body back to Macerata, so, as Chris explained, with teh trepidation of the guys at the factory, I accurately measured the tenon along ts length with a digital vernier. , and when my tech ( Mark at Topjoint , Norwich Uk ) fitted it , it was pretty well perfect .

Blowhard2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts