Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Jeff Coffin of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones,Gerry Mulligan(I know not a heavyweight soprano playing but I like how he sounds on it),Nick Brignola(another baritone saxist that doubles on soprano),Joe Temperly(nother bari sax doubler) and James Carter(that monster player plays everything including the kitchen sink).

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,893 Posts
For classical listening:

Kenneth Tse
Steven Mauk
Eugene Rousseau

For other stuff:

Steve Lacy
Grover Washington Jr.
Dave Liebman

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
PHAROAH SANDERS
RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK (manzello)
JAN GARBAREK
EVAN PARKER
GARY BARTZ
JOHN SURMAN
CHARLIE MARIANO

along with Trane, Wayne, Liebs, Lacy and Bechet , thats about all you need to know right there (Grover too!):D

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Along with the players named (surprised that it took so long for Wayne Shorter to come up :D ) I would add Michael Blake. Check him out with Ben Allison's group, I love his tone which seems to be the most difficult thing for players to iron out on sop.

·
Registered
759 Posts
sopranofreak said:
Ok, not that I'm his number 1 fan or anything, but Tim Garland. Check out his sop playing with Acoustic Triangle - the sound is exquisite.
I'll second that - Tims playing rocks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,167 Posts
Up to No. 20 and nobody's mentioned Johnny Hodges, Bob Wilber, Kenny Davern, Carina Rascher, or Gerard McChrystal!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.