Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some SOTW members have requested and received autographs on their saxophones (see below). Who else here would be inclined to request this? What are your opinions on this practice? How does a famous signature affect an instrument's value? Are players endorse a particular brand reluctant to sign horns of other brands?

I saw Fathead in concert last year around Christmas. ... He signed my old sax. :)
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/member.php?46909-thrillhouse said:
[I play a] Yamaha Custom Tenor (black w/ Branford Marsalis' autograph)
... Marienthal ... signed my saxophone!
I was really lucky and got to play with Streetlight manifestoa ... The guys in SM ... signed my neck(on the sax, be weird otherwise haha) yeah It was a good show.
I [saw] Joe Lovano walking straight towards me. ...should I ask him to sign an autograph? sign my sax case or sax?
I did embarrass myself by asking [Phil Woods] to autograph a reed for me though. He rolled his eyes and summarily dismissed me...*laugh*

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
I don't see any value in this apart from being a talking point.

Phil Woods' reaction just about sums it up.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any value in this apart from being a talking point. Phil Woods' reaction just about sums it up.
And yet Phil Woods signs certificates of authenticity for each of the Yamaha 82ZU horns he "hand selects." Maybe that's why he's reluctant to sign other gear. He believes his signature carries a certain weight and doesn't want to sign something unless he's willing to endorse it.

http://yamahawinds.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/phil-woods-yas-82zu-artist-selected-saxophone/ said:
Each instrument will ship with a certificate of authenticity showing the serial number, lot number (#1 of 16 etc) along with the artists signature.
Here's a photo from the signing session:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The only problem I have with this photo, is that he's apparently selected a horn that hasn't been fully assembled yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I did a gig some time back with Eric Clapton (OK, OK, he was on the bill - but it's close enough for jazz) and our guitarist was all for getting Eric to sign his Strat.
He couldn't get past his 'minder' - who at least took the time to explain that "Mr Clapton doesn't sign guitars anymore as they tend to turn up on ebay a week later".

I wouldn't personally ask a player to autograph my horn - if it was a 'celebrity' player I'd be much happier just to have the opportunity to chat and shake hands with them. On occasion, due to the nature of my business, I get offered a CD of the artist's work...at which point it becomes appropriate to request that they sign it (most will offer to anyway). I treasure such gifts, not just for the music but for the memories.

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,194 Posts
well, ever since celebrity exists (and we go bak to ancient times) people ask celebrities (players, actors, politicians........even famous criminals!) to autograph all sorts of things. One way or other this seems to add " value" to any item which, depending of the desirability of the signature, could even be more valuable than the item itself. In the end value is, as always, in the eye of the beholder.
If one likes having this and the artists obliges (ad why not?) I see nothing wrong. I personally would ever buy a saxophone on account of the signature on it but I know people who would.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
well, ever since celebrity exists (and we go bak to ancient times) people ask celebrities (players, actors, politicians........even famous criminals!) to autograph all sorts of things.
Now this has set me thinking. Suppose I have an original Guardala. Is it now worth a lot more if I get DG to sign it in felt tip? :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,194 Posts
Possibly , although I doubt that his notoriety has crossed over the limited saxophone world ......... Alphonse Capone's signatures on the other hand make big bucks!
http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id76.htm

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,237 Posts
Some SOTW members have requested and received autographs on their saxophones (see below). Who else here would be inclined to request this?
Could you please correlate the age of each saxophone owner with those requests?

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Years ago I covered the re-opening of an old theater, Pearl Bailey headlined, her "minders" said she wouldn't do an interview, we walked around to the stage door where she held court with her fans, signed autographs, did a short interview with me, my wife had gotten Louie Bellson's sticks during the show, Pearl got him to sign them. We gave them to my cameraman who was a drummer. He used them, the autographs were lost to his sweat, but he enjoyed the sticks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a Selmer SA-80 Series I tenor in white laquer signed by President Clinton. I expect this will fetch upwards of $25k when he dies.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Could you please correlate the age of each saxophone owner with those requests?
I'll correlate my age...at the time that I had my old sax signed by Fathead, I was 15. (I was referred to in the original post.) Would I do it again three years later? Sure. Have I matured? Yes. The stipulations were that it was my old (retired) saxophone and that it would be nice to have something to remember such a momentous occasion. I don't find getting an article signed by someone you admire immature (I'm not sure if that was what you were inferring). In a way, if I was a pro player, I'd be honored to sign a youth's sax. I suppose it depends on how many articles you have signed and your personality.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Never thought of trying to get a horn signed- how would you even get it into a concert with security these days and where would you put it while the show was going on??

I have walked back stage after some performances and had artists sign CD jackets- Josh Redman, David "Fathead" Newman, Flip Phillips, a few others. Most memorable was talking golf and swinging "air golf clubs" with Stanley Turrentine after a show in Terrytown NY ages ago- that was a trip. Spoke with Teddy Edwards about mouthpieces and how hard it is to find a reed that works here in Colorado many years back when he was touring with Saskia Laroo- his advice, move somplace else 'cause there isn't much oxygen above 5k feet and reeds don't work where the relative humidity is under 20% a lot of the time.

Generally I've found most of these really fine players (local or world-traveled) to be pretty regular guys and interesting to talk to but having them sign a horn .. nah.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I have gotten three autographs over the years. I had them put on older type saxes who's finishes weren't all that nice. I believe I was either in my 40's or 50's at the time I did this. I probably wouldn't have done that had I known Dr G would think it immature to do so. Well, no, I'd probably do it tomorrow if Sonny Rollins would sign one of my horns. The three signatures I got were Junior Walker's, Joe Houston and Hank Crawford. I brought the horns and the Magic Markers as well.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,828 Posts
This post is really hilarious!

I have never been a sycophant enough to ask for an autograph.

Shook Sonny Rollins hand once and didn't ask him to sign it. :)

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,313 Posts
The only problem I have with this photo, is that he's apparently selected a horn that hasn't been fully assembled yet.
And whats with the jigsaw? Slow day do you think? Mind fully engaged on task?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts