Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about some manufacturers of necks other than oleg, ponzol or selmer that makes high quality necks. Also, I would like to know what they can potentially do for you sound.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
Gloger, Inderbinen, P.Mauriat, Yamaha, Warburton. All good and reputable.

What will they do for your sound? Well, there's a good chance they'll make it sound a bit different, to a greater or lesser degree.

One I really like is the P.Mauriat Magnum

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
While I haven't tried one, you may want to add MacSax to your list. I queried them a while back and they responded quickly and courteously, but in the end I decided not to explore their necks with my Ref 54 - mine works fine.

Yanagisawa also makes after-market necks - I have two for soprano.

What can you gain (or lose)? I think much depends on the individual neck. From my limited experience, each neck may be different, even when coming from the same manufacturer. I've taken inside diameter measurements at the neck opening and found differences (both for fixed neck-sopranos, and removable necks). I have not tried to correlate those measurements to playing characteristics, though.

I once bought a new Yanagisawa 880 alto and on the advice of the selling dealer (a noted old-time big-band section man) I added a Selmer MKVII neck. Great advice - I loved what that Selmer neck did for the horn (opened it up) but later I gave that horn to my grandson who went back to the Yanagisawa neck. Personal tastes, you know. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I have a Barone neck on my Mark VI tenor. It plays much better than the original neck (improved intonation mostly, but seems a little less restrictive too).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly would like to try a Mark VI neck on my Series II. although the neck by it'self might be hard to come by.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
There are many mark VI necks to be bought on line , back in the day in the 20 years when the Mark VI run were offered (and even later) as spares so they are not all that unusual and are as expensive as some of the more expensive aftermarket necks

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
There are many mark VI necks to be bought on line , back in the day in the 20 years when the Mark VI run were offered (and even later) as spares so they are not all that unusual and are as expensive as some of the more expensive aftermarket necks
I think there are especially some late MKVIO necks. I remember when MKVIIs came out, many players bought them but then found they were better when used with a MKVI neck, so at that time (mid 70s) I think quite a few players bought aftermarket MKVI necks which were still available

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would fit a series II and what is the general price? I figure this way if I can't afford an entire Mark VI I could always a piece of one.

·
38,811 Posts
actually, in my experience it is still possible to buy an entire Mark Vi for a lower price than most people would pay for a new top brand saxophone. Especially in these days of cash shortage you don't find too many people able to produce the cash on the spot and if you can you can get pretty good deals.

You need to be patient and vigilant and responding quickly to the local or not classified adverts (no chance on ebay really) especially if they are in the area where you live, call the people on the phone, discuss and agree on a fair price (don't drive too hard a bargain....... lot of people loose deals because they think that they can scrape the bottom of the barrel and most shops which get offered good horns want to pay very little........and that gives you the edge over them!) , drive to the place as soon as possible and buy the sax in cash (get a receipt, you never know)

Recently friends of mine have bought Mark Vi' s for very reasonable prices.

A Selmer Mark VI neck, anyway, can cost as little as 250€ for an alto and 350 for a tenor , around my parts silver plated (necks or horns) are to be found rather more easily and are much cheaper than lacquer

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But, would it fit my series II though? I don't want to buy one if it won't fit correctly.

·
38,811 Posts
necks can (in this case) always be made to fit, any tech would be able to adjust another neck and mostly they do fit

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know, I've learned alot since I joined and thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I paid $40 for a like-new Christopher Elliott neck for my Selmer BA alto and it sounds amazing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
But generally....unless your stock neck really sucks, switching necks provides none to minimal enhancement. I've tried dozens of necks on my tenors over the years and ultimately the stock neck that came with the horns(MK VI's) are the best neck for the horn.
(ps. I currently have 2 tenor necks for sale here at sotw)

·
38,811 Posts
incidentally :D :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
incidentally :D :bluewink:
I thought the shameless plug would be ok since I pretty much disclaimed the value of switching necks...but who am I to thwart somebody else's GAS.

·
38,811 Posts
Indeed :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts