Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to replicate authentic Buescher pads in my C-Melody.

- Metal discs are original
- Synthetic felts are freely available in hobby stores

But!
- Where do I get pad leather? Can I get leather that can actually serve well as pad leather?

If you've done this please share your process and insights.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
That is a tall order indeed. To make your own pads generally requires a metal mold slightly larger than the size of the felt circle being used for each size of pad. Stretching, gluing, and trimming the leather at the back of the pad is also very tricky. By "metal discs" do you mean the original "snap on" resos. Most techs, myself included, when overhauling a vintage Buescher punch a slightly larger center hole in pads without resos so that they can be installed with the "snap-ons". This is a True-Tone alto with white Music Medic Roo pads.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...By "metal discs" do you mean the original "snap on" resos.
No, I mean the base disc of the original Buescher pads. It's made like (bottom-top): metal disc - felt - leather. Snap-on goes on top.
Why not to use pad cups as a mold? That would be exact fit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,945 Posts
Best of luck, that'd be a really difficult endeavor. Particularly threading the back of the leather to make the leather surface nice and tight. Heck, that's almost seamstress-level precision, there.

Do you mind if I ask 'why' ?

There is a reason why every pad mfr has discontinued making the snap-in repro style pads.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is a tall order indeed. To make your own pads generally requires a metal mold slightly larger than the size of the felt circle being used for each size of pad. Stretching, gluing, and trimming the leather at the back of the pad is also very tricky. By "metal discs" do you mean the original "snap on" resos. Most techs, myself included, when overhauling a vintage Buescher punch a slightly larger center hole in pads without resos so that they can be installed with the "snap-ons". This is a True-Tone alto with white Music Medic Roo pads.

I have a Series One Art Deco Tenor that needs new pads. What's the right thickness pads for these?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts